Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Responsible for maintenance and servicing of Amtrak’s locomotives and facilities in accordance with FRA, FDA, and Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Performs services on locomotives and equipment such as sanding, cleaning, washing, scraping.
• Empties waste retention system, trash receptacles and properly disposes of hazardous waste material in accordance with FDA/Amtrak standards and guidelines.
• Performs shop maintenance and functions as motor equipment operator.
• Uses and operates light cranes, tractors, forklifts and similar equipment.
• Maintain shop/yard cleanliness.
• Maintain proper care and use of materials, equipment, machines and hand tools normally associated with assigned job.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Experience in manual labor.
• Must successfully complete training and attain/retain certifications applicable to job.
• Valid driver’s license required for locations where necessary to operate company vehicle and motorized equipment.
• Experience operating cranes, power tools and hydraulic chain/sling rigging equipment preferred.
• Some computer skills preferred.
• Knowledge of general/manual laborer duties.
• Ability to operate cranes, tractors and forklifts.
• Ability to read, write and communicate proficiently.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.