Diversity – Innovation – Caring – Global Collaboration – Winning Spirit – High Performance
At Boston Scientific, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you by working in teams of diverse and high-performing employees, tackling some of the most important health industry challenges. With access to the latest tools, information and training, we’ll help you in advancing your skills and career. Here, you’ll be supported in progressing – whatever your ambitions.
This is a PRN position 0-40 hours per week
Monday – Friday – start time is 9:00am
About the role:
This position is tasked with performing routine activities involved in the preparation of surgical specimens for histologic processing to enable the pathologist to render a quality diagnosis.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Accession surgical pathology specimens into the Laboratory Information System (LIS).
- Maintain the integrity of the specimen and patient information.
- Label specimens and tissue cassettes with the correct accession number.
- Maintain a clean and safe grossing area.
- Maintain adequate supplies and inventory needed for proper processing of gross surgical specimens.
- Assist the pathologist in gross examinations and submission of tissues for histologic processing by dictating gross examination findings on small biopsy specimens under the supervision of the pathologist.
- Accurately record in the gross description the number of blocks and pieces within the blocks.
- Load tissue cassettes into the tissue processor, ensuring that it is functioning properly.
- Maintain proper storage of specimens for as required by current laboratory policies, procedures and regulations.
- Perform regular maintenance on tissue processors and records findings.
- Preform and document all equipment quality control and preventive maintenance.
- Prepares and maintains all necessary reagents, alcohols, and paraffin according to proper specifications.
- Perform proper chemical and biological hygiene practices to ensure a safe and compliant working environment.
- Perform chemical hazardous waste disposal according to laboratory policy in line with regulatory guidelines.
- Assist in duties as deemed necessary by the Histology Supervisor, Pathology Lab Manager, or Medical Director.
The Boston Scientific Corporation Pathology Laboratory attests to the following: For HIPAA compliance purposes, this position has been reviewed by management and meets the ‘need to know’ PHI access criteria of the HIPAA Security Rule. Additionally, per the HIPAA Privacy Rule, the minimum necessary PHI data elements have been identified by management and the minimum necessary PHI access has been granted to the employee/contractor for them to satisfactorily execute the role and responsibilities of this position.
What we’re looking for in you:
- BS degree in biology, chemistry or medical laboratory technology from a regionally accredited college/university.
- Must satisfy CLIA regulations to perform high complexity testing.
- Must have good computer skills
- Ability to view video display terminals <18″ away from face for up to 6 hours/day
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard
- Ability to sit or stand for up to 6 hours at a time
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to multi-task well
- Repetitive Hand Motion
- Daily Exposure to chemicals, blood, and body fluids
Requisition ID: 508773
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.