Location: LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital
Req ID: 97645
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
Assists the Director and Supervisor with the advanced, technical operations of the laboratory section and performs highly complex diagnostic procedures as prescribed by physicians. Acts as a team leader to complete development projects as assign. Prepares technical documentation drafts.
- Accurately performs diagnostic tests or procedures of the highest complexity as assigned in multiple laboratory sections (advanced tech skill inventory) and reports results through appropriate channels. Completes, evaluates and records all appropriate quality controls and quality assurance markers. Activates troubleshooting procedures when necessary. Trains others to perform this responsibility when assigned.
- Assists others (as appropriate based on skill level) by demonstrating expertise of advance experience and or training (tech skill inventory) as necessary for laboratory operation and provides IMPACT feedback to the Supervisor. Evaluates new methods, techniques or equipment and makes recommendations to the Director or Supervisor Leads projects for procedure development, product evaluations, quality monitors and regulatory compliance as assigned. Prepares technical documentation drafts for publication and/or procedure manuals. Prepares and presents technical education demonstrations to laboratory or medical staff. May publish/present scientific presentations/papers at a national level.
- Performs preventative/safety maintenance on equipment and maintains a safe, clean and efficient work environment. Takes initiative in problem solving equipment failures to the extent capable. Communicates unresolved issues to supervisor or designee. Complies with personal protective equipment (PPE) and other laboratory and hospital safety standards 100% of the time. Notifies supervisor of unsafe events. Responsibly controls and maintains inventory. Trains others to perform this responsibility when assigned. Provides information to the Supervisor for fiscal monitors, operating budget or expenses and assists with variance reconciliation for development projects.
- Provides professional, courteous and calm customer service to both internal and external customers. Identifies appropriate resources and sources for re-directed inquiries. Acts as a reference source for laboratory procedures within their skill inventory as necessary. Takes charge of any unusual or problem situations and reports issue to Supervisor or Director.
- Regularly reviews operational procedure manuals, individual competency assessment, quality assurance monitors for completeness, accuracy and regulatory compliance. Assists the Supervisor with recommendations for content, accuracy and improvements and makes changes as directed. Actively participates in laboratory section continuing education/quality assurance meetings by preparing and presenting technical presentations. Is assigned leadership responsibilities for the continuing education of the section staff. Assist the Supervisor with the preparation of competency assessment tools. Identifies own learning needs with regards to new projects and partners with the director, CHOP resources or other outside sources for resources. Participates in national and local professional organizations as permitted. Successfully completes 12 units of approved continuing education activities during evaluation cycle.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelors in Medical Technology or other science related field.
Required Experience: A minimum of 5-7 years of experience. A demonstrated mastery of advanced tech skills inventory.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Masters
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: M.T., (ASCP), (NCA), or related specialty certification.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Exhibits the ability to work with computer programs and computer controlled equipment,
- Exhibits the ability to handle and interpret data, multitask, and maintains confidential material.
- Exhibits good laboratory technique and safety practices.
- Exhibits good communication, technical and organizational skills.
- Experience and/or training in multiple laboratory sections and high complexity testing (advanced tech skill inventory).
- Exhibits the ability interpret scientific literature & regulatory compliance and apply to laboratory policy & procedure improvement or development.
- Exhibits the ability to lead scientific projects towards procedure establishment and write regulatory compliant policy & procedures.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146