Requisition Number: 45593
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Display Technologies segment manufactures glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (“LCDs”) that are used primarily in LCD televisions, notebook computers and flat panel desktop monitors.
The candidate will be a key player in initiating and strengthening technical engagements with external customers, and internally support a cross-functional team tasked with developing next-generation innovative process and/or product (solution). We are looking for individual who can achieve the following objectives:
- Deliver success in engaging customer technically in product innovation, leading to design-in of product, with sound approach and strong fundamental in materials engineering and mechanics of materials.
- Drive technical activities with customers and provide analyses and technical feedback to development team for validation of attributes to meet requirements.
- Provide direction to related cross-functional team for testing and characterization, analyze technical data and own responsibility to prepare technical materials for customer communication.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Engage external customer technically and drive related execution, and collaborate with new product program teams:
- Introduce new product innovation and articulate value proposition to customers;
- Understand customer's technical requirements, testing and plan in evaluating new product and manage testing plan internally;
- Conduct experiments internally to gain fundamental knowledge to address technical challenges at customer in their evaluation;
- Collaborate with internal teams to address customer's feedback;
- Perform data analysis and interpretation, and prepare technical messaging in support of project team
- Make recommendations to project to improve functional performance and reliability
- Strong fundamental of mechanics of materials and materials engineering with experience in mechanical behaviors and glass/ceramics characterization
- Familiarity with reliability engineering, statistical analyses and hands-on materials testing
- Excellent communication skills and at ease in customer engagements and facilitation
- Demonstrated ability to independently analyze, document test results and follow-up, and communicate effectively
- Ability to work on and solve complex problems requiring attention to details
- Experience in driving root cause determination and recommend technical correction actions
- Knowledge in mechanical and optical characterization technique and equipment
- Experience in product engineering of glass/ceramics
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and reliability tools
- Experience in leading technical project teams and supporting new product development/introduction
- Understanding on touch technologies and related cover glass fabrication/processes
- Ability to communicate technical contents effectively in Chinese and English
- Demonstrated ability to work across diverse team and environment
- Strong interpersonal skills (required to establish and maintain external relationships)
- Attention to details and able to manage multiple engagement/projects at a given time
- “Can-do” attitude and able to complete tasks independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Education and Experience:
- 5 – 10 years of experience in materials science/engineering with M.S. or PhD -preferably with focus on Mechanics of Materials, and Reliability