Requisition ID: 236362
Requisition Posting End Date: 07/28/2021
Bechtel is designing, constructing, and commissioning the world’s largest radioactive waste treatment plant for the U.S. Department of Energy at the Hanford Site in southeastern Washington state. The Hanford Tank Waste Treatment and Immobilization Plant will use vitrification technology to process and solidify 56 million gallons (210 million liters) of radioactive and chemical waste stored at the Hanford site, which is a byproduct of plutonium production during World War II and the Cold War era.
The project is the largest undertaking of its kind and one of DOE’s most technically challenging cleanup projects. Its construction spans 65 acres (26 hectares) with four major nuclear facilities – Pretreatment, Low-Activity Waste Vitrification, High-Level Waste Vitrification, and Analytical Laboratory – as well as operations and maintenance buildings, utilities, other support facilities.
The position is located in Richland, WA and works a 9/80 schedule. However, this schedule is subject to change.
Plans, writes, edits, proofreads, and coordinates the production of moderate to complex technical documents and visual media products with accuracy, consistency, professional quality, and conformance to the appropriate style guide. Complexity is determined by technical terminology, length, scope, production methods, and client direction.
Principle responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Plans appropriate format and layout of documents, organizes content, writes/edits text, and provides direction for final reproduction as needed.
- Collaborates with authors, subject matter experts, and publications staff on the preparation, review, and timely completion of a full range of technical documentation including the resolution of editorial and/or content issues.
- Coordinates document formatting, form development, graphic design, reprographics, and document processing support.
- Edits and/or rewrites draft documents to industry and government standards while conforming to the appropriate style guides and other document-related procedures.
- Ensures that material is structured and formatted logically and resolves inconsistencies.
- Monitors job progress and alert the responsible supervisors when schedules appear to be in jeopardy.
- Maintains complex electronic file management and configuration control.
- Assists other publications staff, as required. May review work of other publications staff members.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Technical Communications, or related publications field and one (1) year of related experience or in lieu of a degree, High School Diploma or equivalent and seven (7) years of related experience.
- Must be able to complete a pre-employment drug screen, physical (if located at the construction site), and background check.
- Must be able to demonstrate intermediate proficiency using Microsoft Word, including electronic comment incorporation, importing graphic files, formatting tables, and applying templates. A skills assessment will be administered to test proficiency.
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and proper use of syntax. A skills assessment will be administered to test proficiency.
- Must have excellent proofreading skills. A skills assessment will be administered to test proficiency.
- Skilled at drafting and revising simple to complex documents to produce a logical format/structure and to resolve inconsistencies.
- Ability to write, review, format, and edit content while conforming to appropriate style guides and other document-related guides and procedures.
- Ability to identify and apply the appropriate level of edits based on considerations such as customer expectation, audience, visibility, turn-around time, and project/corporate standards.
- Competence in handling complex publication assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to act as a lead writer/editor for large, multifunctional, and/or high-profile document assignments.
- Experience interfacing with authors, subject matter experts, publications staff, and document control staff while preparing and coordinating the production of a full range of technical documentation and other publication products.
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Professional customer service skills.
- Capable of functioning professionally and efficiently in a fast-paced production environment.
- Flexibility to respond to urgent project requests and/or changing priorities.
- Ability to work overtime on short notice, as needed.
- Demonstrated proficiency in producing nuclear safety documentation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with scientific/engineering principles and terminology related to engineering for nuclear facility components, systems, design, and operations.
- Knowledge of procedure development that may be specific to or cross over various disciplines (e.g., engineering, procurement, construction, startup, and/or operations).
- Understands trademark, copyright, and corporate identity standards and guidelines.
- Performs research to support document production.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of varied backgrounds and objectives.
- Familiarity with the use of an electronic content management system (ECMS).
- Graphic design skills using standard Adobe Creative Suite products.
- Broad knowledge and experience in graphics layout, design, techniques, and concepts.
- Advanced proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Intermediate to advanced skills in SharePoint (knowledge of sites, lists, libraries, pages, and web parts; page editing; list development; document management).
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.