Requisition ID: 235440
Requisition Posting End Date: 12/31/2021
In August of 2017, Georgia Power selected Bechtel to complete the construction of the two-reactor expansion of a nuclear power plant near Augusta, Georgia. Plant Vogtle Units 3 & 4 will be the first new units built in the U.S. in the last three decades and are currently the only new units being constructed in the country.
At the peak of construction, this vital project will employ up to 5,000 on-site. These positions will include building tradespeople, engineers, field supervisors, construction and project managers, quality assurance professionals, safety professionals, procurement, subcontract specialists and many others.
This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts including nights, weekends, or holidays. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment. The ability to obtain/maintain access to the facility is required.
The Piping Field Engineer is responsible for the flushing activities relating to construction engineering within the piping discipline. Duties include interpreting piping design drawings and specifications, leak testing and cleaning/flushing, field verification of materials, and technical direction to field piping personnel as required. This position is not considered the design authority for the project, but only to enforce piping construction per design. This position may be assigned to the night shift and will require working overtime. This posting is for a short term assignment.
- Coordinate with engineering on constructability and design issues relating to the piping discipline such as piping installation, maintenance, and flush testing.
- Establish piping design/field engineering working relationship and lines of communication with the Project Engineer, including the agreement on piping engineering deliverables and overall construction application configuration management.
- Responsible for quantity take-off, control, tracking, reporting, and forecasting for the piping discipline.
- Specify the criteria for the construction of temporary piping construction facilities as required.
- Coordinate with Field Supervision and Subcontractors to plan/support construction schedules.
- Plan and recommend piping procedures to be implemented by Field Supervision to ensure construction operations are within requirements of engineering design and specifications.
- Work with customer’s resident engineering and operating personnel to coordinate piping construction activities.
- Undertake piping testing including leak testing and cleaning/flushing.
- Perform other duties as required by Bechtel management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge regarding nuclear power plant initial test program flushing related activities
- Plan, coordinate and supervise system flushing and cleaning activities
- Coordinate flushing activities with system completion & implementation of design changes
- Provide feedback regarding system enhancements and design errors
- Develop and maintain flushing plans and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines from an accredited university as well as a minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience or 12 years of relevant experience in the absence of a degree.
- Must possess legal right to work in the US without sponsorship.
- Must be physically capable to conduct field inspections and participate in project walk downs which require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing in very small and/or confined spaces, and lifting up to 40 lbs.
- Must be able to pass nuclear security screening requirements and be able to obtain and maintain unescorted access to a nuclear power facility.
- Experience with accessing and implementing internal cleaning methods on partial systems.
- Experience in system flushing and NSSS and BOP integrated flushing techniques on all fluid systems (oil, water, and gas).
- Experience in operation, testing or maintenance of commercial nuclear facilities (PWR preferred).
- Subject Matter Expert regarding nuclear power plant initial test program flushing related activities
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills including Microsoft suite of tools.
- Working knowledge of database-driven tools.
- Working Knowledge of Teamworks ® and SetRoute®.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.