Posting End Date: 01/27/2022
* This position may be filled as a Substation Apprentice 1st, 2nd Year, 3rd Year, 4th Year or Substation Technician based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate. *
* The below job description is that of a Substation Apprentice 1st Year and the qualifications, duties and responsibilities increase/adjust according to the level that the position is filled. *
Under close supervision, as an apprentice in training, must be able to perform the less difficult tasks and assist others in high and low voltage work involved in the construction and maintenance of electric transmission and distribution conductors, structures, substations, underground systems, and related equipment, and be qualified to do the following and related work as assigned:
- Use climbing equipment and have ability to handle self on substation structures in safe and efficient manner;
- Assist in the erection of substation structures, including foundations;
- Work on energized conductors up to 600 volts;
- Install miscellaneous hardware, grounds, fittings during construction, buss supports, and conductors on dead circuits;
- Assist in transmission and distribution switching;
- Assist qualified mechanic in simple routine inspection and maintenance;
- Assist in the installation of all types of conduit systems;
- Assist in the handling, moving and installation of all transmission, distribution and plant equipment, machinery, etc.;
- Assist in testing, performing routine maintenance, and making minor repairs to transformers, circuit breakers, regulators, and other substation equipment;
- Assist in testing, performing routine maintenance, and making minor repairs to hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, and other substation systems;
- Prepare reports and records;
- Operate Company’s trucks and automobiles;
- Assist in adequately welding steel and aluminum;
- Assist in operating computers and needed computer applications for testing substation equipment;
EXPERIENCE AND SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Substation Apprentice 1st Year – have worked for at least one year, and qualified, as a Helper, Helper Substation Dept., or have equivalent experience in related work having all the qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Substation Apprentice 2nd Year – have worked at least one year, and qualified, as a Substation Apprentice 1st Year – Substation Dept., or have had equivalent experience in related work, having all the qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Substation Apprentice 3rd Year – have worked at least one year, and qualified, as a Substation Apprentice 2nd Year, or have had equivalent experience in related work, having all the qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Substation Apprentice 4th Year – have worked at least one year, and have qualified, as a Substation Apprentice 3rd Year, or have had equivalent experience in related work, having all the qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Substation Technician – have worked for at least one year, and qualified, as a Substation Apprentice 4th Year, or have had equivalent experience in related work, having all the qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Learn Company’s safety rules, and be able to administer all approved methods of resuscitation, and be able to render practical first aid;
- Supply personal tools used in work;
- Have a mechanical aptitude;
- Experience or training in welding steel or aluminum by at least one welding process;
- Be able to qualify for, obtain and maintain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License, TWIC card, CIP background check, Nuclear background check, and required industrial plant entrance testing;
- Obtain knowledge of substation material and use of substation construction tools and equipment;
- Must have full use of mental and physical faculties;
- Have strength and endurance adequate for arduous labor in all kinds of outdoor weather conditions;
- Be able to work at heights close spaces, and confined spaces;
- Good hand-eye coordination, physical dexterity, and color vision;
- Be particularly alert in observing hazards communicating issues and avoiding accidents;
- Be willing to work under unusual surroundings, as well as the normal working conditions pertaining to this job;
- Be able to receive and transmit orders and instructions in such a manner as to inspire respect and confidence of both superiors and subordinates;
- Successful completion of the EEI CAST test *if EEI CAST Test Recommended, notate on resume.
- Candidates selected to take the CAST test will be invited via e-mail **BE SURE TO MONITOR YOUR SPAM/JUNK EMAIL FOLDER.
Primary Location: Louisiana-Baton Rouge
Job Function: Skilled / Craft
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Relocation Option: No Relocation Offered
Union description/code: NON BARGAINING UNIT-NBU
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 104993
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Please click here to view the full statement.
One way that Entergy has found to identify and assess the abilities and skills needed for certain jobs is through pre-employment testing. If this position does require an EEI test, the type of test will be located under the qualifications section of the job posting. If you are invited to a test session, we strongly recommend you review and complete the practice test as well as review the testing brochure for your respective test. The test brochure will give you critical information on the test such as time allocated and number of questions. Also, keep in mind that the actual test is timed; you should practice timing yourself while doing the practice tests. The practice test information and test brochures can be located by going to the EEI website, http://www.eei.org/practicetests, Logon ID: entergy, password: practice test (2 words). Travel expenses incurred in connection with EEI testing are non-reimbursable.
In addition to EEI testing there is also Fit-for-Duty testing which will identify and assess the abilities and skills needed for certain jobs. If this position does require Fit-for-Duty testing, the type of test will be located under the qualifications section of the job posting.
As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.
Please note: Authorization to work in the United States is a precondition to employment in this position. Entergy will not sponsor candidates for work visas for this position.