Location: LOC_BUERGER-Buerger Center Ambulatory Care
Req ID: 132584
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
Practices as a proficient to expert practitioner of nursing. Demonstrates expertise in caring for patients with multiple and complex problems complying with administrative policies and clinical protocols as outlined in policy and procedure manual. In addition to demonstrating clinical knowledge and leadership, may supervise identified staff. Serves as a resource and consultant to staff and participates in endeavors to increase nursing knowledge. Demonstrates clinical leadership skills through contribution to standards of care and division goals. Administratively responsible to the Business Manager and Ambulatory Nursing Director for nursing practice issues.
If in a supervisory role:
- Assures that staff incorporates professional standards of practice and meet regulatory requirements into nursing care provided.
- Provides direct supervision of staff and contributes to performance reviews as per Human Resource Guidelines.
- Holds staff accountable for arriving to work on time; predicts challenges and obstacles and plans for how to minimize a negative impact on the patient/ family and colleagues
- Assures appropriate personnel are assigned to meet patient care/program needs.
- Effectively manages gaps in staffing.
- Develops creative staffing strategies when necessary for daily staffing adjustment within division/program.
- Immediately investigates patient/family complaints and collaborates with Business Partners and Clinicians to provide prompt feedback.
- Partners with nursing staff to conduct educational programs to meet the ongoing professional needs of staff.
- Works with members of the staff to coordinate the orientation of all new staff.
- Works with Ambulatory Nursing leadership to assure annual staff competency assessment is met.
- Supports educational needs of staff in order to provide patient and family education.
- Follows Nursing Process to deliver safe care: assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Synthesizes and evaluates complex assessment data to best determine priority of care needs; pertinent data is shared with care team, with appropriate tasks to be delegated.
- Leads family, team members and other caregivers and coordinating all facets of patient care planning with the multidisciplinary team.
- Evaluates patient care outcomes, communicates changes to physicians, family and other team members and contributes to necessary system changes.
- Documentation contains an evaluative component which contributes to changes in current hospital standards, policy and procedures.
- Contributes to evidenced based standards, policy and procedures that meet professional standards and regulatory requirements.
- Utilizes patient satisfaction data, QI data, incident report data and other forms of feedback to improve care provided by nursing staff.
- Holds self and others accountable for appearance and behaviors that promote a positive image of Nursing.
- Mentors other nurses in how to interact with parents/patients and colleagues with respect and dignity.
- Mentors and holds other nurses accountable in how to spend the “extra time” with families while listening for avenues to improve on the ideal patient experience and anticipate patient/family needs.
- Role models and mentors other nurses on providing accurate patient status reports to care team members that reflects critical thinking skills that address nursing interventions, patient outcomes and alterations to plan of care.
- Facilitates, chairs, and/or participates in division/departmental Shared Governance council.
- Promotes/contributes to practice at local, regional and national levels.
- Presents at regional and national conferences. Writes for publication.
- Facilitates and promotes change in the division/ practice environment.
- Leads division/department improvements and measures outcomes.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
- Reads and analyzes nursing and other scholarly articles and research studies, and formally disseminates information to unit and at select departmental venues (committee, grand rounds, posters).
- Applies research findings to practice and select departmental committees.
- Initiates opportunities to participate in research studies and answers complex research questions.
- Demonstrates initiative for identifying learning needs of self and others and develops a learning plan.
- Applies education and training from departmental in-services and external sources to unit and select departmental practices to enhance Nursing practice.
- Develops and utilizes patient education materials relevant to patient population and area of expertise.
- Develops and presents staff education programs geared to meet unit and select departmental needs.
- Demonstrates health care informatics competency in order to manage patient care, outcome data and current and emerging health care technology.
- Ensures staff compliance to systems that promote quality, efficient and cost effective care.
- Monitors unit usage of supplies and equipment, implements and evaluates systems for improvement to minimize waste and/or misuse of patient supplies.
- Addresses issues and develops solutions that enhance staffing efficiencies.
- Conducts small projects that address resource management solutions.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
BLS – Basic Life Support
RN License or active Temp Practice Permit in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or State of NJ, depending on the assigned work location. If practicing with an active temp practice permit, obtains an RN license prior to the expiration of the practice permit
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Nursing diploma
- Four years pediatric experience required with at least one-two years of supervisory experience.
Active membership in a professional nursing organization
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: BSN strongly preferred
Additional Technical Requirements
- Basic use of a computer (mouse, keyboard, printer, USB ports).
- Basic use of Microsoft Office (Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and Skype).
- Web browsing, intranet search, document access.
- Use of shared network file space.
- Basic use of patient facing technology. (e.g. IV pumps, point of care devices, CR monitors).
- Navigation and use of clinical communication systems.
- Determines the nature and extent of clinical information needed and uses the appropriate technology to access it.
- Accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluates information and its sources critically and appropriately incorporates it into clinical practice.
- Evaluates outcomes of the use of information.
Information Management Literacy
- Navigation of the electronic health record system.
- Ability to locate and review specific patient data in various clinical information systems.
- Effectively uses clinical decision support tools.
- Understands policies and procedures, confidentiality, security, and privacy regulations regarding the use of clinical information systems.
- Ability to collect clinical data using quality improvement tools.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146