Requisition Number: 48388
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Global Supply Management (GSM) Function is recognized as a critical function for business success. It delivers the training, tools and opportunities needed to create innovative solutions for the function & the corporation. GSM has leading edge, effective processes to anticipate and exceed customer requirements.
Assists and/or leads with the development, communication, and execution of Global Supply Management (GSM) strategic sourcing strategies and plans to procure MRO services in alignment with business objectives and strategies for assigned global commodities.
- Develops and/or assists with Strategic Sourcing plans and objectives (short & long term) based on forecasts of future demand and taking into account economic and currency trends and conditions that affect GSM, the business, and the global commodity sourced.
- Works with the Business, GSSM, SSTM, Buyers, and Coordinators on assigned global commodities to prepare for, develop strategies and tactics and conduct negotiations with suppliers to obtain maximum value.
- Resolves contract, quality, payment or other supply/service issues with suppliers and end users when required.
- Leads with the development, and assists with the communication, of assigned global and commodity intelligence.
- Keeps the businesses and function informed regarding market conditions, suppliers, lead times, and shifts in pricing for strategic global commodity materials and services.
- Thoroughly understands key commodity annual spend.
- Develops and executes supplier management programs for critical suppliers. Integrates technical and commercial feedback. Sets goals for improvement and track progress.
- Owns, manages and provides inputs for the Contributions Metrics system.
- Ensures all business relationships follow appropriate corporate policy and governance requirements.
- Leads and executes RFI’s, RFP’s, and RFQ’s.
- Evaluates competitive offerings via price/cost analysis to determine the overall best offering for a product or service.
- Identifies cost reduction and/or cost avoidance opportunities and executes projects/initiatives to deliver cost savings.
- Coordinates with Legal Department to develop legally defensible, accurate contracts that reflect negotiated product and service agreements and minimize risk to Corning.
- Works with Corning Shared Services to ensure smooth transaction processes and resolve issues.
- Leads negotiation of contracts as they come due for renewal and/or are identified through project or operational work. In addition, minimizes Total Cost of Ownership and maximizes total value (quality, price, schedule, intellectual property, service, technology, etc.). Negotiates day to day resolution with suppliers.
- Champions and advocates for the Global Buying Policy. Ensures compliance.
- Commodity/Supply Chain Expertise
- Interprets supplier’s financial condition and its potential impact to Corning.
- Determines appropriate level of commodity analysis & has a thorough understanding of competitive intelligence to identify market alternatives.
- Understands factors of production throughout the commodity supply chain (e.g. cost and manufacturing drivers, manufacturing efficiencies, process flow, etc.).
- Contract Writing/Management
- Understands local regulations in dealing with suppliers in a global setting.
- Knows when to consult with Legal to address issues or questions.
- Understands how to correctly write a contract, obtain contract approvals, and manage a contract, based on Corning policies and systems.
- Financial Management
- Understands basic financial terms (e.g. depreciation, amortization, accrual, capital investment, inventory turns, days sales outstanding etc.).
- Has a strong understanding of the business unit’s key financial metrics, and how money flows into and out of the business.
- Develops financial analyses and generates and implements cost and net savings opportunities.
- Overcomes negotiation stand-offs with the first and foremost responsibility of protecting Corning’s interests, creating win-win outcomes.
- Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups.
- Understands effects of actions on others.
- Has a good sense of timing.
- Understands the negotiable terms and when/where/to what extent concessions may be made.
- Understands the difference between “must-haves” and “nice-to-haves” and can balance the trade-offs between the two.
- Price/Cost Analysis
- Capable of developing, implementing, and interpreting cost model structures based on strategic cost management principles prior to negotiating.
- Proactively forecasts future costs of products and services over short and long periods of time and communicates results with appropriate parties (Finance, Manufacturing, Sales etc).
- Effectively leverages pricing sources in evaluating pricing proposals.
- Considers total cost of acquisition, use/administration, maintenance, transaction processing, and disposal of a given item or service.
- Supplier Relationship Management
- Manages suppliers to effectively shorten lead times and improve fill rates.
- Aligns and leverages supplier’s capabilities with Corning’s needs.
- Develops effective reward and recognition systems for critical key suppliers.
- Bachelors Degree.
- Experience with GSM processes and systems.
- Experience with MRO Services contracts
- Knowledge of various supply chain areas.
- Experience on project teams.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities.
- Experience as a plant or corporate Buyer.
- Experience working in a matrix environment or on a cross-functional team.
- Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) or Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), APICS or certification related to Supply Chain.
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.