Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The internship for the Station Design and Delivery Department is an opportunity to improve the customer experience and real estate assets at Amtrak. The intern will work collaboratively Amtrak Station Design leads who are experts in the fields of project management, architecture, building and utility systems engineering, and facilities planning. Interns will have the opportunity to participate in the full cycle of projects including initiation, planning, design, execution, and closeout.
Amtrak provides rail transportation services and facilities for our operations and customers. The internship will focus on improvements to facilities which renovate historic stations, refresh spaces and systems, and improve the customer experience through, branding, wayfinding, retail, and operations support areas. This often includes integration of technology systems which support travel planning, ticketing, and accommodating the interface of transit equipment, systems, and safety into the Project.
The intern will develop contacts in the transportation as well as manufacturing, design, and construction industries. They will acquire skills and knowledge in planning, facility design and construction, business and project strategy and deployment, and the integration of code, sustainability, and safety into Projects.
• Clear and succinct verbal, written, and graphic communication on design and technical topics.
• Create documentation of technical processes and best practices.
• Create written documents, spreadsheets, and graphic drawings including presentations.
• Prepare and organize spreadsheets to filter and determine hierarchies of need or content.
• Organize, present, and communicate findings to decision makers and other staff.
• Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution in architecture, architectural engineering, utility systems engineering or related field.
• Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including word, excel, power point, access, and project
• Experience with CAD tools such as Autcad, Microstation and others
• Experience with 3D modeling software such as Revit, Archicad, and others
• Experience with Adobe Suite such as Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, and others
• Ability to use Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Engineering; Research & Strategy
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering; Research & Strategy || Internships & Co-Ops