Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Senior Technologist’s primary role is to provide production system operations and maintenance (O&M) support for end-users, applications, infrastructure, platforms, or network services. They will also work with internal customers and IT stakeholders to provide innovative solutions to technical challenges as they are considered the subject matter contributor. In a consultative role, they may support multiple projects as a technology contributor.. Works on moderately complex tasks projects and IT support issues that involve a degree of risk or may impact business unit performance. Utilizes individual level of expertise within one or more areas of specialty.
• Researches and analyzes technologies within area of required expertise.
• Comply with all safety requirements and instructions, campus includes active train yards, warehouses, mechanical facilities, and office spaces.
• Excellent proactive communication, time management and follow through skills/ expertise with MS Office suite applications
• Proficiency/expertise using Service Now Incident Management and Change Management application, or other Incident Management tools
• Ability to move about within the campus site including using stairs or ladders when necessary. Campus includes active train yards, warehouses, mechanical facilities, and office spaces. Occasionally carry items, up to 50 lbs. as needed.
• Demonstrated ability to take role assisting in project coordination and execution
• Experience with onsite desktop support with desktop PC’s, laptops, mobile devices, (iOS & Android), and peripherals.
• Comp TIA A+ or equivalent, or Network + or equivalent certs.
• May assess emerging technologies and evaluate new products or tools for the organization.
• Makes recommendations to management to influence long-term technology strategy and planning for multiple business units.
• Assists in the development and analysis of source selection strategies.
• Works with service providers to ensure that their in-scope technical solutions are consistent with the enterprise business strategy and architecture.
• Serves as a consultant for issues.
• Provides project managers with technical consultation and advice, enabling quick response to inquiries related to the program/project. Provides technical analyses to help define, assess, and monitor the technical aspects of the program/project or service.
• Helps design innovative solutions using new technologies. May recommend short-term alternatives when appropriate.
• Troubleshoots existing information systems, applications, middleware, or networks to identify errors or deficiencies. Helps to brainstorm possible solutions and evaluates alternatives against decision criteria.
• Assists in the resolution of support issues escalated by senior operations, development personnel or service provider personnel. Directly works with vendors during the problem resolution process as needed.
• Provides technical expertise across business functions. Identifies opportunities to improve business processes via new technologies. Provides support for Sr. Principal Technologist’s representation of Amtrak at relevant industry forums.
• Effectively perform all IT Controls as applicable.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering plus 3+ years relevant experience or 7+ years of relevant work experience as subject matter expert required to satisfy education and experience requirements.
• Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills, work well with others in an integrated team environment and must be self-sufficient.
• Exposure to and/ or working experience utilizing the ITIL Framework for Incident, Change, Problem, and Release Management.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or engineering plus 5+ years relevant experience
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Internships & Co-Ops