Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Manages the system wide distribution of locomotives to ensure sufficient power is available at facilities for train operations as dictated by the System Fleet Plan. Ensures that locomotives are available for Charter and other Special Trains, Emergency Response Training and Test Trains. Provides direction to facilities with respect to locomotive operation. Provides a leadership role during service disruptions to develop alternative locomotive operating plans to recover from the disruption and ensure adequate availability of locomotives for next days service
• Ensure adequate availability of locomotives system wide.
• Responsible for authorizing the use of freight locomotives when necessary and ordering emergency fuel.
• Takes a leadership role during service disruptions to develop alternative operating plans for locomotives throughout the Amtrak System.
• Provides guidance to field personnel with respect to locomotive issues. Directs division yard/facilities in the manipulation of locomotives to ensure maintenance schedules of the mechanical department are met and all equipment remains compliant with Federal regulations.
• Participates on locomotive related conference calls and Teams.
• Enhances revenue through effective locomotive distribution practices.
• Responsible for achieving high levels of customer satisfaction, maximizing revenue, and controlling costs, through the efficient utilization of locomotive resources.
• Demonstrated years of experience working in Operations, Business or related field.
• Ability to act upon incomplete information in a time-critical environment in order to begin developing and implementing recovery plans as soon as service disruptions first occur.
• Demonstrated aptitude for working with and through a diverse work force at all levels of the organization to achieve a common objective (be it business-as-usual train operations or recovery from a major service disruption)
• Ability to effectively convey information and instruction to field supervision (trainmasters, road foreman, managers of train operations and others) both verbally and in written form.
• Proficiency using computer applications such as Microsoft Office suite of business software.
• Prior functional experience in train operations, equipment utilization, field transportation management, manpower utilization, stations/customer service.
• Thorough understanding of the interrelationship that train operations, equipment and manpower play in providing service to our passengers.
• Working knowledge of Amtrak’s route structure, operating rules and practices, passenger equipment types and general train makeup characteristics.
• Working knowledge and/or qualification on any railroad book-of-rules, AMT-2, AMT-3, AMT-4 or AMT-5. Proficiency using computer applications such as Microsoft Office suite of business software.
• Proficiency using computer Amtrak’s mainframe computer applications such as Arrow and CICS.
• Practical work experience with Amtrak labor agreements, safety and environmental regulations and applicable federal codes and statutes governing railroad operations
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || No Additional