Diversity – Innovation – Caring – Global Collaboration – Winning Spirit – Caring – High Performance
At Boston Scientific, we’ll give you the opportunity to harness all that’s within you by working in teams of diverse and high-performing employees, tackling some of the most important health industry challenges. With access to the latest tools, information and training, we’ll help you in advancing your skills and career. Here, you’ll be supported in progressing – whatever your ambitions.
A significant challenge for patients with neurological disorders implanted with active devices is their ability to safely receive MRI scans. Neuromodulation devices can have a variety of interactions with MRI equipment and demonstrating how to safely scan these devices are an important, complex and interesting technical challenge. In this role the candidate will have the opportunity to learn and develop a broad understanding of the implantable neurostimulation devices and evaluate them under these MRI interactions. While there is a large amount of knowledge and expertise in this area in Boston Scientific Neuromodulation, MRI compatibility is one of the current active research areas for most medical devices. Therefore, there are a lot of opportunities to develop and test the next generation implantable devices and learn more about MRI compatibility.
The candidate is expected to work independently and as part of this very well regarded R&D team. No previous expertise in MRI is required for the role, but a desire to learn about it is.
- Leads or participates on project teams to develop clear product specifications of next generation neurostimulators to ensure they are compatible for safe use in MRI condition.
- Innovate new approaches and evaluate feasibility of concepts for implantable neurostimulation devices and MRI tests.
- Generally understands MRI scanners and various electromagnetic fields generated by them.
- Develops understanding on how human tissue and Active Implantable Medical Device System respond to the various electromagnetic fields from MRI scanners
- Develops understanding on the limits and thresholds (thermal, electromagnetic, force, etc.) of the various tissues involved in interactions between MRI and Active Implantable Medical Devices.
- Designs and Develops test strategies and test methods for the next generation neurostimulators to determine their safe use in MRI scanners, including rationales and predictions for in-vivo performance.
- Design or assist in specifying mechanical and electrical test fixtures as needed for evaluating prototypes.
- Defines and executes preclinical testing including protocol development.
- Degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or Biomedical Engineering with Electrical minor
- BS with 6+ yrs relevant experience
- MS with 4+ yrs relevant experience
- PhD with 2+ yrs relevant experience
- Medical Device design experience preferred.
- Experience with bench-top electronic and RF test equipment.
- Knowledge of human anatomy and physiology and understanding of the thermodynamics and biomechanics of tissue is preferred.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of Electromagnetics and human body interaction is preferred.
- General knowledge of RF circuits and specific knowledge related to implantable RF devices and general knowledge of the bio-effects of RF energy on human tissue is desirable.
- MATLAB, Python, Minitab, Sim4Life, HFSS or similar electromagnetics modeling program.
- Writing skills: Ability to document designs and reports in a clear and concise manner.
- Operating style: Hands-on, action-oriented, with good analytical and experimental work habits. Good interaction with other team members in the development of specifications and project plans. Effective in producing clearly written technical and non-technical product documentation.
Requisition ID: 480308
As a leader in medical science for more than 40 years, we are committed to solving the challenges that matter most – united by a deep caring for human life. Our mission to advance science for life is about transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve patient lives, create value for our customers, and support our employees and the communities in which we operate. Now more than ever, we have a responsibility to apply those values to everything we do – as a global business and as a global corporate citizen.
So, choosing a career with Boston Scientific (NYSE: BSX) isn’t just business, it’s personal. And if you’re a natural problem-solver with the imagination, determination, and spirit to make a meaningful difference to people worldwide, we encourage you to apply and look forward to connecting with you!
At Boston Scientific, we recognize that nurturing a diverse and inclusive workplace helps us be more innovative and it is important in our work of advancing science for life and improving patient health. That is why we stand for inclusion, equality, and opportunity for all. By embracing the richness of our unique backgrounds and perspectives, we create a better, more rewarding place for our employees to work and reflect the patients, customers, and communities we serve. Boston Scientific is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Boston Scientific maintains a drug-free workplace. Pursuant to Va. Code § 2.2-4312 (2000), Boston Scientific is providing notification that the unlawful manufacture, sale, distribution, dispensation, possession, or use of a controlled substance or marijuana is prohibited in the workplace and that violations will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.