Job ID: MH20172401-38080
With annual revenues of nearly $4.5 billion, over 12,000 employees, and operations in about 20 states, Orbital ATK is a company on the move. Our mission is to ensure that our customers accomplish their mission — whether it’s a technological breakthrough, a satellite launch, or protecting our nation. The company is the world’s leading supplier of solid rocket motors, a leading provider of launch vehicles, satellites and other space systems, and the nation’s largest manufacturer of ammunition.
Orbital ATK is currently seeking an experienced Senior Propulsion Engineer to join our team in Dulles, VA.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
This opening is for an experienced Senior Propulsion Engineer who will perform a wide range of duties associated with the specification, procurement, test, and delivery of related hardware for use on launch vehicle platforms. Candidate will be responsible for all aspects of product management, including resolving technical issues, scheduling of production and test activities, and working through potential conflicts with suppliers. In addition, candidate will maintain detailed records for each component type, which includes specifications, purchase orders, pedigrees, test results, key technical characteristics, and nonconformances.
The ideal Candidate for this role will be one who is comfortable working on a variety of problems across a range of hardware subsystems. A Candidate will work as part of an Integrated Product Team (IPT) under the guidance of a Lead Engineer. As part of the IPT, the Candidate will need to be able to effectively communicate and interface with suppliers, other departments, and customers, both internal and external, to ensure the components meet the vehicle needs and requirements.
The Candidate will help research, design, test, and document various hardware systems. The Candidate will gather information for desired design and processing changes from various vendors and present them to management for approval. The Candidate will resolve nonconformances and implement corrective actions. The Candidate will be required to perform and publish analyses and waivers, by applying sound engineering principles and techniques. The Candidate will plan engineering activities, such as component tests and technical analyses to ensure the product meets specified requirements.
The Candidate will also be responsible for gathering, maintaining, formatting, compiling, assessing technical data, such as laboratory or material test results and engineering design changes. The Candidate will produce engineering documentation, reports, drawings, and presentations. The Candidate will write and implement Specification and other Requirements Documents, Statements of Work, Work Packages, and Test Reports. Create pedigrees, qualification matrices, as well as document any deficiencies to internal engineering standards. Perform post-flight data review including determining performance characteristics and document results for final post- flight reports.
The Candidate will be expected to be proactive in learning and becoming an expert in the design and performance characteristics of various hardware subsystems. They will be responsible for developing technical solutions for issues, communicating those solutions to appropriate Program and FSG LVD Management, and properly implement those solutions. They will be expected to coordinate necessary subject matter expert support in the company as needed to achieve those necessary objectives.
Based on specific stated objectives perform analysis, design, or test of one or more complex materials, structural components or functional systems of company products. Without detailed direction, study basic design concepts and criteria for assigned complex materials, components, or functional systems to ascertain the engineering principles involved and to adopt features from previously successful designs of a similar nature. With general direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design of assigned complex components and functional systems. Study the operation of systems, select major components to meet functional and operational design requirements. Direct the more detailed analysis and design and follow up to assure compliance with original philosophy and good engineering practices.
Education & Experience Requirements:
• Candidate shall possess a Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering, preferably in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
• Minimum of four years related experience is required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• This position may be offered at one level lower with a requirement of Bachelors of Science in Engineering, preferably in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum of four years related experience with propulsion engineering subsystems (ordnance, motors and pneumatics) is required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Candidate must possess good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, problems solving skills with ability to work with a diverse group of people including technicians, engineers and management and in a variety of work environments. Candidate must be fluent in preparing and reviewing technical presentations and can be frequently called upon to create technical briefs for management.
• Candidate must possess experience with design analyses, manufacturing documentation, hardware qualification / acceptance testing and the ability to evaluate engineering changes and product discrepancies and their effect on the finished product.
• Candidate required travel is expected to be approximately a minimum of 25% of time on a sustained basis.
• Candidate must possess the ability to obtain security clearance
• US Citizenship required.
If you are a dynamic, successful, driven professional, Orbital ATK is the company that will further your experience and career growth. We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including, medical, dental, 401k, tuition reimbursement, and much more.
Orbital ATK Flight Systems Group provides products and services that span the launch, missile systems and aerospace markets. We are a premier producer of solid rocket propulsion systems and specialty energetic products; a leading provider of small and medium class space launch vehicles for Civil, DoD and Commercial missions; a major supplier of interceptor boosters and target vehicles for missile defense; and a world class manufacturer of composite primary and secondary structures for commercial and military aircraft and launch vehicles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D
Are you a Veteran? Visit our Jobs for Veterans page to find jobs that match your military background.