Requisition Number: 44964
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position: In this role, you will be part of a new product development group, developing, scaling up and validating plastic forming processes used in the manufacture of new products. You will serve as a subject matter expert on assigned project teams as a Development resource.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Support development of new products and drive the development processes for plastic forming processes (primarily injection molding) and secondary processes.
• Identify and provide plans to mitigate risks
• Plan and carry out experiments, provide data analysis to define new process parameters and control limits through use of rigorous statistical methods
• Develop resolution to complex technical problems and execute solutions within developed timelines. Research, identify, and propose best in class solutions.
• Lead design reviews for processes developed
• Interface with outside vendors that provide materials or services for assigned projects.
• Take responsibility for own personal and professional growth.
• Document project learning in formal reports.
• Ensure Corning's Intellectual Property management process is followed and any intellectual property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
Travel Requirements: 10%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: M-F 8am – 5pm Required
• BS in Plastics Engineering
• 5+ years of related experience
• Rigorous polymer process development, with demonstrated success from customer problem to marketed solution
• Proficient in injection molding process development including the use of scientific injection molding
• Experience with secondary process techniques (Example: plastic part assembly methods)
• Experience across both early and late stage projects
• Strong computer skills: proficient with MS office and 3D CAD
• Practitioner of statistics and DOE
• Experience/knowledge of polymer processing tools and machinery beyond injection molding
• Creative problem solving
• Experience with design of polymer parts for injection molding
• Experience with common/basic metrology techniques
• Injection mold design
• Working knowledge of SolidWorks, FEA, and moldflow
• Proficient in DOE techniques and data analysis
• Experience participating on project teams in a stage gate process, following ISO 9001 or ISO13485, cGMP, Design Controls
• Experience with disposable polymer products
• Experience with Life Sciences products
• Do you have a command of the English language with excellent verbal and written skills?
• Does your experience include authoring detailed technical reports, and communication to non-technical audiences?
• Do others describe you as having the ability to exhibit initiative, drive, commitment, curiosity, and creativity in a positive and dynamic, team based, group?
• Do you enjoy working collaboratively on teams and interacting with other scientists, engineers, technicians, business directors and commercial teams?
• We seek someone who is a self-starter, takes initiative, remains customer focused, values differences in people and ideas and displays potential for assuming a greater leadership role in the future.
• This position does not support immigration sponsorship
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.