CMS Enterprises owns and operates independent power generating plants, natural gas assets and an energy marketing group for the non-utility segment of CMS Energy’s business. We are proud of our strong history of reliably serving our utility, municipal, commercial and industrial customers. Equally important to us is our role as a responsible corporate citizen through environmental stewardship and providing direct and indirect employment opportunities and other economic benefits to the communities we serve. Our strategy is focused on continued exceptional financial results through strong operations and safety performance, optimization of our assets, and disciplined growth in the domestic energy sector.
This position is available at our Genesee Power Station in Flint, Michigan. It is a renewable facility which burns a variety of biomass materials that would otherwise be landfilled, including tree trimmings, land-clearing residue, construction debris, pallets, spools and other clean industrial wood wastes provided by Mid-Michigan Recycling. The power produced supports the health of the forests, mitigates greenhouse gases (is “carbon neutral”), conserves landfill space and supports the electric grid in central Michigan. The electric output is sold pursuant to a long-term power purchase agreement with Consumers Energy Company. This facility can produce enough electricity to power approximately 40,000 homes. Commercial operation began in 1995.
PLEASE NOTE: You must timely upload your resume for further consideration for this opportunity.
The Biomass (Wood) Plant Operator is responsible for equipment operation and recordkeeping duties on a variety of moderately complex systems such as: distributed control, water, steam turbine generator within established procedures.
This position will be located at the Genesee Power Station plant in Flint, Michigan.
This section in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor including:
- Operates assigned control systems including distributed control, water, steam turbine generator and related components in a safe and efficient manner.
- Maintains assigned control systems to ensure proper operations; performs routine equipment maintenance, safety checks, inspections and adjustments, as required.
- Takes measurements and readings and compares with standards.
- Implements corrective actions within established procedures.
- Assists chemistry vendor in maintaining the boiler system by adjusting chemical feed, as appropriate, and in monitoring the boiler, cooling water and waste water chemistry; implements corrective actions within established procedures, as required.
- Inspects and monitors environmental equipment.
- Provides equipment cleaning, filter changes and calibration gas adjustments.
- Identifies and reports problems to the Lead Control Room Operator.
- Logs equipment operating data in an accurate and timely manner.
- Responds to alarms in a timely manner; operates necessary equipment to effectively respond to critical situations.
- Performs maintenance activities during plant outages and minor maintenance on shift as required.
- Operates mobile equipment located throughout the plant to maintain efficient operations.
- Maintains a safe work environment through job planning, housekeeping, and adherence to plant safety rules and procedures, and identification and correction of hazards.
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area.
- Responds to incipient fire/spill situations according to developed procedures.
- Insures the safe loading/unloading of bulk chemistries on site.
- Inspects bulk chemical storage according to established schedule and maintains bulk storage areas according to established procedures.
- Performs other comparable and related duties, as assigned.
- Ability to work overtime, as well as, any schedule including nights and weekends.
- High school diploma OR GED.
- Power plant experience.
- Thorough knowledge of all plant systems and understanding of process and electrical diagrams, plant procedures and measurement standards.
- Expected to train for Lead Control Room Operator within 6 months of hire.
- Ability to use analytical judgment to plan and perform diversified work, making decisions within prescribed limitations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and take direction from others.
- Biomass experience.
- Power Plant Operator.
- Associates Degree.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions
Occasionally ( O ) Frequently ( F ) Constantly ( C )
0-33% AWD 33-66% AWD 67% – 100% AWD
(AWD = Average Work Day)
Using the above chart, identify with each activity below, the frequency that the activity takes place in an average work day.
Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. (F)
Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles. (F)
Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on one knee or both knees. (F)
Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine. (F)
Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. (F)
Sitting: Sitting upright in the work area to perform duties. (F)
Crawling: Positioning the body so that weight is evenly distributed on both hands and knees on a flat surface. (O)
Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time. (F)
Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances. (C)
Pushing: Using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward. (O)
Pulling: Using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion. (O)
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Requires substantial use of the upper extremities and back muscles. (O)
Fingering: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. (O)
Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm. (F)
Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. (C)
Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds with no less than a 40-dB loss at 500 Hz, 1000 Hz and 2000 Hz with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when making fine adjustments on machined parts. (C)
Medium Work – Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual Acuity Requirements including Color, Depth Perception, & Field of Vision.
Machine Operator (including inspection) – This is a minimum standard for use with those whose work deals largely with visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, operation of machines (including inspection), using measurement devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at distances close to the eyes.
CONDITIONS THE WORKER WILL BE SUBJECT TO IN THIS POSITION
- Inside environmental conditions: Protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- The worker is required to wear personal protective equipment
- Outside environmental conditions: Minimal protection from weather conditions and temperature changes.
- Extreme heat: Temperature above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour during a work shift.
- Extreme cold: Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour during a work shift.
- Noise: There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Hazards: Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, and exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- Atmospheric conditions: One or more of the following conditions that may affect the respiratory system or the skin: Fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
- Oils: There is air and/or skin exposure to oils and other cutting fluids.
- Prolonged, irregular working hours.
DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Applying to this job include:
- Performing repetitive or short cycle work.
- Influencing people in their opinions, attitudes and judgments.
- Working alone or apart, in physical isolation from others.
- Attaining precise set limits, tolerances, and standards.
- Working under specific instructions.
- Dealing with people from multiple functions.
- Making judgments and decisions.
- Dealing with changing priorities.
- Giving direction to others without having formal authority.
- Working under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Able to handle sudden high levels of stress and physical activity.
- Dealing with unplanned schedule changes, call-ins and prolonged working hours.
- This role is part of a very limited sized staff which requires dropping the job at hand to assist elsewhere in the plant on short notice, which adds extra stress to an already stressful daily routine.
- Shift work.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – PLEASE READ
- A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
- All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
- Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
- Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
- This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.