Requisition ID: 240539
Requisition Posting End Date: 10/15/2021
Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact.
We serve the Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy, and Mining & Metals markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations. Core to Bechtel are our values – ethics, safety, quality, people, culture, relationships, innovation and sustainability, and our covenants – integrity, respect, collaboration, trust, and delivery. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
Primary Job Duties/Functions:
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates detailed phases of engineering work for a global business unit usually in one discipline in a project or staff group. Performs work that involves conventional engineering practice but may include complex features such as resolving conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials and/or difficult coordination requirements.
- Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment.
- Coordinate’s engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, and contractors and between other groups.
- When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other engineers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
- Assists in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepares letters to vendors and clients.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of calculations, conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
- Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
- Reviews and checks work of subordinate engineers.
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
- Develops and maintains Corporate Piping Material Classes as required.
- Applies expertise in the review of Client/Customer specifications for compliance with applicable Industry Codes
- Executes and verifies related piping calculations (wall thickness, branch reinforcement, vacuum, specialty line blanks, etc.).
- Reviews Vendor Quotations for Technical Acceptability and completes Technical Bid Evaluations for all piping and valve components.
- Issues and maintains piping and valve material specifications utilizing SmartPlant Reference Data.
- Development of component commodity codes for company and project specific databases based on industry standards, manufacturer specific construction and corporate coding structure.
- Works closely with clients and other disciplines on resolution of piping related issues.
- Development of technical, design and purchasing specifications for all bulk piping components.
- Development of specialty items as required by project.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. Mechanical Engineering.
- Registered as a Chartered Engineer.
- Minimum 15+ years’ experience in pipe material engineering
- Knowledge in material requirements for Acoustic Induced Vibration mitigation is a plus
- Thorough knowledge of discipline engineering techniques, the design of engineered systems, and engineering and design calculations.
- Understands the application of Engineering Department Procedures, relevant Bechtel design guides. Broad knowledge of the application of engineering to plant constructability as applied to construction methods and materials.
- Detailed knowledge of Piping Material Specification software (SmartPlant Reference Data SPRD etc..)
- Understanding of the roles played by other departments on projects including basic construction practices and the economics involved.
- Understanding of industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to the particular engineering discipline. Specific knowledge of B31.3 design and materials is essential.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of ASME, API, AWWA, ASTM, European Codes and MSS codes/product specifications is essential.
The above is normally acquired through:
- A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, OR
- A professional license in an appropriate engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board, OR
- Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering disciplines to meet job requirements, AND
- Practical work experience in design engineering or relevant equivalent experience in allied types of engineering sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineer.
What We Offer
At Bechtel we offer a competitive salary package with the opportunity for flexible working to achieve greater work-life balance. Employee wellbeing is at the centre of our business and Bechtel is committed to offering you the benefits and resources to live healthy lives. We can offer:
- Flexible Working
- Private Medical Coverage
- Life Insurance Program
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Program
- Long Term Disability Scheme
Bechtel’s Vision, Values and Covenants commit us to the ideals of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust, and collaboration, among others. These values help define our culture, our way of doing business, and the positive impact we aspire to make in the world through our people and projects. At our project sites and offices, we have many colleagues from different nationalities, religions, and backgrounds working together to accomplish amazing things.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.