Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Summary of Duties:
Industrial and Systems Engineering is concerned with the design, improvement and installation of integrated systems of people, materials, information, equipment and energy. The Senior Manager Industrial Engineering will be responsible to ensure Amtrak Engineering has the right people, strategy, processes and equipment to improve the effectiveness of the Department’s work force and the assets they maintain.
Responsible for ensuring the Engineering department’s business processes are consistent with Industry best practices and relevant standards and coordinate with the Senior Manager Systems Engineering to ensure that technology employed to support those processes is constantly evaluated for suitability and remains current.
Facilitate and guide the development and implementation of Engineering’s Asset Management Strategy through the specification and development of business processes and technology solutions.
Apply businesslike oversight to a technically ordered Department with a goal of enhancing cooperation among disparate elements of the Engineering Department as well as ensuring proper support from other Amtrak Departments.
Responsible for the development of the annual asset line plan and biannual asset management plan in accordance with 49 U.S.C 24320 and 49 U.S.C 24904.
Oversee the engineering and procurement of a fleet of Maintenance of Way Equipment capable of meeting Amtrak’s State of Good Repair and normalized replacement needs.
Oversee the administration and maintenance of Amtrak’s fleet of Maintenance of Way rolling stock through the management of a group of freight car inspectors and foreman.
Responsible for the effective functioning of the Industrial & Systems Engineering Group in the absence of the Director Business Improvement.
- Oversee and provide direction to three departments within the Industrial Engineering Group: 1) Asset Management responsible for developing and documenting the Engineering asset management strategy, policy and procedures; 2) Industrial Engineering is responsible for the development of new Engineering processes to support departmental strategy and improve decision support tools such as the enhancement of asset management practices and the development of financial business cases; 3) Equipment Acquisition and Freight Services is responsible for the development, engineering and procurement of a Maintenance of Way fleet to capable of achieving State of Good repair and normalized replacement levels as well the maintenance of rolling stock equipment.
- Review business practices – identify opportunities to improve work methods and streamline existing processes to reduce unit costs, engineering inventory, and material handling costs. Measure quality of work, effectiveness of maintenance practices and appropriate disposition of work force.
- Oversee the Engineering Operations Desk which tracks infrastructure asset failures, Engineering production and track possession to promote root cause analysis and enhanced maintenance to improve OTP.
- Lead department-wide initiatives to improve collaboration and cooperation among the disparate organization, and drive improvements in processes and equipment to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Department.
- Oversee a reduction in Infrastructure generated train delays. Work to develop guidelines for the management of train performance information within the Operations Department. Implement measures and standards within Engineering.
- Assist the Engineering Department in the development of business cases and plans to ensure consistency in financial decision making.
- Partner with the Workforce Management Group to determine the right mix of people, skill sets, equipment, tools necessary to achieve production goals and annual normalized replacement levels.
- Demonstrated ability to perceive opportunities in the Engineering Department for commercial improvement and a record of implementing those improvements.
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport within all levels of the organization and to communicate effectively with Departmental leadership
- Proven skills in developing strategies and objectives to meet the needs of the organization
- Self motivated with highly developed organization and project management skills
- Strong background in financial management and accounting management.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant experienece.
- 9 years relevant experience required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of, or a demonstrated ability to learn the maintenance of way work environment and related workforce management at Amtrak.
- Demonstrated experience in leading organizational resources to achieve a common goal.
- Expertise in all areas of project management including strategic planning, impact studies, budgetary analysis, logistical planning and organizational relationships
- Demonstrated experience in railroad or transportation engineering management systems.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree in Engineering or Business Administration
- 11+ years relevant experience preferred.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical