ABOUT HESS CORPORATION
Hess is a leading international independent energy company engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas.
We have an industry leading position in the Bakken in North Dakota – a key U.S. shale play. Hess is also one of the largest producers in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico and a key natural gas producer and supplier to Peninsular Malaysia and Thailand. The company is engaged in exploration and appraisal activities offshore Guyana, participating in one of the industry’s largest oil discoveries in the past decade, as well as the Gulf of Mexico, Suriname and Nova Scotia.
Hess aims to attract, retain and energize the best people by investing in their professional development and providing them with challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal growth. We are always looking for talented professionals who share our values and are passionate about making a difference in the world and in their careers. We strive to meet the highest standards of corporate citizenship by protecting the health and safety of our employees, safeguarding the environment and creating a long-lasting, positive impact on the communities where we do business.
For more information about Hess Corporation, please visit our website at Hess.com.
In this role, you will work to effectively turn business questions into data analyses and provide meaningful recommendations on strategy. This is a unique hybrid role that will focus on your knowledge of data infrastructure and your ability to drive insights.
You will play a key role in cultivating the power of data-driven insights into the organization by joining the Hess Analytics Center of Excellence (COE). The team is responsible for delivering impactful data analytics solutions using descriptive and advanced predictive analytics techniques. Additionally, the Analytics COE is responsible for conducting a workforce upskilling program to elevate data literacy and capabilities within Hess business units (“Analytics Academy”).
You will serve as an analytics expert for your stakeholders, helping them break down business problems and make better decisions using analytics. You use your unique skills in mathematics and statistics to develop analyses and weave stories with meaningful insight from data. You will make critical recommendations and work closely with the business stakeholders to ensure coordination and successful solution delivery.
Leaders in Data Science can see different angles of a product or business opportunity, and you know how to connect the dots and interact with people in various roles and functions. You have substantial experience with analytical tools and techniques and bring a solid skill set in analyzing data and communicating recommendations. You will deepen your skillset by working with analytical thought leaders across the company.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Interrogate and understand the problems within the business domain in partnership with subject matter experts and translate the need into a data-oriented problem to be answered.
- Conduct business requirements gathering, document specifications, and help consult on the design of final product to the customer.
- Conduct data analysis and summarize findings into effective communications and make business recommendations.
- Deliver effective presentations of findings and recommendations to multiple levels of leadership, creating visual displays of quantitative information. Develop and automate reports, iteratively build, and prototype dashboards to provide insights at scale, solving for analytical needs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to understand their business needs, formulate, and complete end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering, analysis, ongoing scaled deliverables, and presentations.
- Help drive the direction, vision, and roadmap for the business domain with regards to how data can help solve their key business problems and objectives.
- Own relationships with executive stakeholders across Hess Corporation with emphasis on assigned domain area.
- Assist with designing the deployment and operationalization strategy for final product, conduct end-user training, and assist in embedment of solution adoption within the business units.
- Help promote and drive analytics embedment in the organization by participating in Analytics Academy delivery and ensuring adoption of solutions.
- 3 years minimum experience in a data science or analytical function.
- Deep interest and aptitude in data, metrics, analysis and trends and applied knowledge of engineering principals.
- Distinctive problem-solving skills and exemplary business judgment.
- Proven track record of building strong partnerships with business stakeholders to understand underlying business problems.
- Strong ability to engage with domain experts & stakeholders to translate business needs into technical requirements & solutions.
- Proficient in articulating business questions, pulling data from datasets (SQL) and using statistics to arrive at an answer.
- Experience working with data science programming languages (e.g. Python, R, SAS) and statistical packages (e.g. Python, R, SAS, Stata, MATLAB, etc.).
- Experience in visualization packages (e.g. Spotfire, Power BI, Tableau, etc).
- Experience working with database architectures and cloud environments.
- Capable of translating results from analytical and data science experiments into practical business recommendations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in scripting with advanced SQL, extracting large sets of data, and design of ETL flows.
- Experience with building machine learning models, model performance assessments, and optimization techniques.
- Work experience in an inter-disciplinary/cross-functional teams.
- Experience working in an agile project management environment.
- Oil & Gas industry experience or equivalent in petroleum/mechanical/chemical engineering or geosciences a plus.
Education, Training & Certifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Master's degree with emphasis on coursework of a quantitative nature (e.g., Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Data Sciences) is preferred.
The Hess Way of Working refers to competencies considered absolute pre-requisites for success. How you deliver results is as important as what you achieve. Every employee is expected to demonstrate the behaviors within these competencies to be considered an effective performer and, ultimately, earn career growth opportunities.
- Builds Trusted Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Creates Effective Teams
- Thinks Strategically
- Inspires Innovation
- Demonstrates Courage
- Drives Continuous Improvement
- Makes Quality Decisions
- Delivers High Performance
Hess is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Posting Notes: Lisa B Willet | Employee | Information Technology | United States| Texas | Houston | | | | | No | 25629