Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Sr Engineer is responsible for supporting the Facility Manager managing and overseeing Amtrak’s physical assets at an assigned major station (NYP, WIL & BAL) to improve its core business through enhancing the customer experience and providing a safe, clean and comfortable working and experience for Amtrak staff. The position is responsible for developing a short, medium and long-term capital maintenance and improvement program for their facility in partnership with master developers or the Moynihan Condominium as appropriate, as well as planning and project management functions for minor projects. Sr. Engineer will provide oversight and assist in coordinating work performed by other Amtrak entities, operation and maintenance vendors and work with procurement in identifying and procuring service contracts to support the facility. This position is responsible for supporting Amtrak’s station managers and customer service team in identifying, evaluating and resolving operational and programmatic deficiencies within the facility.
• Provides overall direction and management of the facility management function including oversight of the facility management service provider and various sub-contractors. Develops performance standards/service goals, budgets, monitors and approves costs, sets facility engineering and technical facility standards and reviews operations against those standards.
• Responsible for developing and implementing facility best practices including asset management practices; preventative and reactive maintenance, long term capital planning and life cycle asset management strategies.
• Serves as a key member of the Emergency Response Team, participating in emergency planning activities and maintains the department (station) emergency response plan.
• Ensures facility-wide compliance with applicable codes, regulations, and standard operating procedures.
• Supports the Facilities Management function for physical assets at an assigned station, including coordination with a thirty-party facilities management service providers and associated contractors and sub-contractors.
• Provides leadership as a staff member to departments requiring support with facilities operations, repairs and modernization of buildings, grounds and infrastructure. In this capacity, the position promotes design and specification of systems, equipment, interior/exterior finishes and furnishings that can be maintained cost effectively are sustainable and represent effective deployment of technology and energy efficiency. Reviews plans and makes recommendations as to design, commissioning, maintenance, and operation new/refurbished facilities.
• Performs daily inspections of work in process, monitoring vendor performance and addressing emergency needs by evaluating the facility with the station operations team, and other internal and external support staff, to identify operational and programmatic deficiencies.
• Develops, manages and implements facility construction projects of various scales, directly with, or with the engagement of, third-party service providers, including renovation or replacement projects for all aspects of facilities.
• Manages projects and initiatives related to Amtrak’s Customer NOW Program, which aims to improve and enhance the customer experience at Amtrak-served stations systemwide, with an immediate focus on the Top 25 and Top 100 Stations, as identified by senior management.
• Manages the planning, programming and development of internally and externally (third-party) sponsored facility projects. Provides project management support throughout the facility development process.
• Develops short, medium and long-term capital and asset plans the station identifying all capital components, the life cycle, and annual capital budgets necessary to maintain the station in a state-of-good-repair (SOGR). Designs develops and implements departmental maintenance and service delivery plans.
• Administers facility maintenance standards and service goals on a regional basis; Budgets, monitors and approves costs; Reviews maintenance operations against those standards and goals; Develops and implements facility management best practices, including capital planning and asset management strategies. Maintains overall responsibility o manage performance metrics of the vendor, reporting on all service level agreements (SLA’s) and holding the vendor accountable to achieve desired targets and quality.
• Collaborates with all Amtrak departments, and all levels of management, to foster ongoing communications and ensure system-wide consistency in implementation of facilities management functions and standards.
• Maintains effective relationships with landlords, tenants, contractors and all other internal and external stakeholders and/or partners.
• Participates in project meetings, site surveys, assessments, design review sessions, pre-construction, and construction phases, as required.
• Participates in the development and evaluation of RFQs and RFPs for planning, design and construction contracts for facility improvements.
• Perform additional responsibilities and special assignments, as directed by supervisor.
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration, or a related field.
• 6 years of related work experience in managing a large complex facility and all maintenance activities.
• Knowledge of facilities management, design and construction disciplines.
• Proven management experience and leadership abilities. Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and tight deadlines.
• Extensive communication/presentation skills and experience including distilling and communicating complex issues to senior level officers.
• Superior quantitative and analytical skills
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral, written)
• Previous experience managing a large complex facility, directing a third party maintenance provider, and management of individual service and maintenance contracts.
• Highly proficient with desktop computing, Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel and Word)
• Ability to be on-call and respond to for emergency situations.
• Master’s degree in business administration, or a related field.
• 8 years of related work experience.
• Certified Property Manager or Certified Facility Manager
• Experience developing a facility management and/or capital maintenance and/or improvement plan for multiple facilities on a national platform.
• Relevant experience in the transportation and/or railroad industry.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):New York
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Marketing || Corporate Jobs