Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
This position is responsible for preparation and review of designs for complex electrification engineering projects and studies to repair, rehabilitate or construct new electrification facilities. These facilities include but are not limited to 60Hz-25Hz power conversion facilities, traction power substations (25Hz and 60Hz), signal power generation (100Hz & 91-2/3Hz), etc. Review engineering designs prepared by outside consultants for projects to be constructed by Amtrak and projects constructed by others on behalf of Amtrak to ensure compliance with industry and Amtrak standards. Provide technical expertise to other departments and make engineering decisions for Division Engineers and their staff. Provide Construction Related Engineering assistance when requested by Division Personnel and when necessary, make field inspections pursuant to making engineering decisions. Lead development of new electrical standards and develop prototype electrical equipment with manufacturers for use on the 25 Hz system and the 60 Hz system. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Develop and produce Electric Traction designs including calculations and drawings for various projects and custom equipment.
- Testing and commissioning of new and existing facilities.
- Collaborate with system and division project managers on project progress.
- Experience in all phases of Project Management including planning, scheduling, cost estimating, and closeout.
- Manage in-house and consultant design projects.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) test.
- Minimum of six (6) years in design of Substations, Transmission, SCADA, and similar facilities.
- Familiar with electric generation, transmission, and distribution equipment.
- Experience in design of Substations, Transmission, SCADA, and similar facilities.
- Demonstrated experience in Relay Protection designs and calculations.
- Familiarity with various standards and codes including ones published by the IEEE, AREMA and NFPA amongst others.
- Demonstrated experience in project management.
- Demonstrated management experience in a matrix organization.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large projects from planning phase through construction.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project and AutoCAD.
- Must be computer literate and have good communication skills.
- Project Management and Planning/Scheduling.
- Demonstrated experience of a minimum of eight (8) years in design of Substations, Transmission, SCADA, and similar facilities.
- Licensed professional engineer (PE).
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate.
- Masters of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering & Mechanical