Location: LOC_MAIN-Main Hospital
Req ID: 133721
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Department Director is responsible for the direct 24/7 provision of Environmental Services for all applicable buildings and areas and for oversight of all CHOP buildings and areas under a contractual environmental services agreement in support of the site leadership.
The Director is responsible for contributing to the overall hospital mission by ensuring patient throughput, safety, and customer satisfaction on an ongoing basis through the provision of housekeeping, waste and sustainability, and sleep surface management.
The Director is responsible to ensure that all “intra and inter departmental partnerships” are established and maintained and all resources are always utilized efficiently and effectively with the awareness for safety and respect.
The Director ensures the services, technology and practices are “leading edge” and on the forefront of local, national and international advancements
- Responsible for ensuring the departmental “scope of services” is integrated/meeting/exceeding and customer/building occupancy requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring the appropriate forecasting and planning of departmental services and personnel.
- Determines (and implements) the aesthetic and safety standards for the appropriate individual customer base.
- Develops (and implements) Departmental Policies, Procedures to ensure a safe working environment in conjunction with infection control and environmental health and safety.
- Ensures compliance with all aspects of Hospital Policies/Job Aides relative to safety behaviors, infection control and security.
- Ensures all aspects of Patient Throughput meet expectations/targets and concurrently does not compromise customer expectations or requirements.
- Responsible for the development of departmental operating and capital budgets.
- Responsible to develop on an “inter and intra departmental” basis to operate effectively and efficiently with approved resources.
- Develops/tests/implements and evaluates new and creative approaches to ensure resources are maximized.
- Develops/tests/implements and evaluates new and creative approaches to reduce cost per patient day.
- Ensures waste and sustainability programs (within scope of the department) are continually reviewed for effective use of resources.
- Ensures waste and sustainability programs are compliant with all hospital policies and philosophies.
- Ensures waste and sustainability programs are compliant with all appropriate regulatory agencies.
- Monitor effectiveness of waste cost per patient day.
- Responsible to develop on “intra and inter departmental” basis to maximize all aspects of “sustainability” program EchoCHOP.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Sleep Surface Management:
- Maintains and stores inventory to meet clinical acuity and age appropriateness.
- Responsible for the appropriate sleep surface “type” delivery to meet clinical needs and timeliness.
- Partners with Clinical, Bed Management and Emergency Management to ensure appropriate sleep surface requirements are readily available on a daily basis, surge capacity and emergency situations.
- Manages all aspects for overnight sleep accommodation for staff/visitor due to emergent and/or inclement weather situations.
- Partners with Talent Acquisition to ensure recruitment and retention have key three (3) department criteria for success: reliability, performance excellence, and customer service.
- Ensures a diverse and inclusionary work force.
- Provides training, growth and developmental programs and opportunities.
- Partners with Human Resources to ensure all correct interpretation/implementation and application of Hospital Policies and Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensures the appropriate resources are assigned to meet customer service expectations.
- Ensures all Hospital and Departmental Policies/Codes of Conduct and Procedures are adhered to on a consistent, fair and equitable basis.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelors
- Minimum of seven (7) years of senior managerial experience in large academic and/or specialty healthcare/hospitality environment.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Experience: Eight (8) or more years of experience in large academic and/or specialty healthcare/hospitality environment.
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: Certified Healthcare Service Professional (CHESP)
Additional Technical Requirements
- Proven track record in like/similar healthcare/hospitality environment responsible for the personal management of a large, diverse and multi-cultural work force.
- Proven track record of a diverse scope of (hospitality) services including but not limited to infection control, sleep surface management, patient (customer) throughput, floor care, training and development.
- Presentation experience to multi discipline sized groups
- Inter/intra departmental partnerships skills
- Knowledge, understanding, and implications of practical and operation adaption of external (City, State, and Federal) agency guidelines and requirements including but not limited to DOH, DEP, JC, EPA, OSHA, DOT preferred.
- Professional Affiliation(s): AHE (National/Local), NALM, Hospitality Management preferred
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146