At Charles River, we are passionate about improving the quality of people’s lives. When you join our global family, you will help create healthier lives for millions of patients and their families.
Charles River employees are innovative thinkers, who are dedicated to continuous learning and improvement. We will empower you with the resources you need to grow and develop in your career.
As a Charles River employee, you will be part of an industry-leading, customer-focused company at the forefront of drug development. Your skills will play a key role in bringing life-saving therapies to market faster through simpler, quicker, and more digitalized processes. Whether you are in lab operations, finance, IT, sales, or another area, when you work at Charles River, you will be the difference every day for patients across the globe.
The CRL IT organization is looking for an energetic professional to provide engineering expertise within the Global Infrastructure Services team As an individual contributor and part of a cross functional team of engineers, the Cloud Engineer will be an integral component to delivering effective end to end cloud infrastructure technology solutions.
This role will require a mix of subject matter expertise in cloud computing technologies along with a broad understanding of current relevant technologies, including Azure/AWS administration, VMware, server, networking and monitoring. The cloud engineer will be responsible for infrastructure as code deployment tooling and supporting services on multiple cloud providers.
Through excellence in delivery, he/she will help to achieve and maintain a high level of employee engagement, customer satisfaction and team productivity.
• Accountable for supporting the digital transformation initiative and cloud strategy by designing and implementing cloud migrations and services as part of an dedicated team of engineers.
• Accountable for contributing to a high performing team that delivers consumable, standardized hybrid cloud infrastructure services and solutions (resilient, high quality, highly automated and up-to-date)
• Accountable for collaborating and consulting with other IT practices to support technical solution development and deployment
• Accountable for working with external strategic partners to develop and deliver technical solutions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Application migration to multi-cloud environment using cloud migration technologies
• Designing, building and deploying complex IaaS and PaaS infrastructure solutions
• Participate in multiple highly complex projects/tasks simultaneously and prioritize as required
• Executes on plan; standardizing and automating processes for the organization
• Actively participates in deploying application artifacts to appropriate target environments using the supported technologies and infrastructure
• Document IT hybrid cloud infrastructure engineering procedures and collaborate on various information technology projects.
• Maintains and grows knowledge of platform configuration management and troubleshooting
• Responsible for delivering technical documentation (engineering)
• Train less experienced personnel in technical complexities
• Perform all other related duties as assigned
Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent in computer science, engineering, or related discipline.
Experience: Minimum of 7 years related IT experience
• Effective communication skills for large, multi-national audiences.
• Effective cross-functional leadership and collaboration skills.
• Utility player – broad understanding of tools and technologies
• Flexibility and willingness to learn new toolsets and solutions
• Ability and willingness to cross train, document and operationalize new technologies
• Experience and understanding of Agile Methodologies
• In depth knowledge of hybrid cloud infrastructure design and implementation
• Working knowledge and understanding of current Cloud Computing technologies such as Azure and AWS and cluster management tools like Kubernetes
• Experience with containers such as Docker, OpenShift
• Experience coding using infrastructure as code and configuration management tools such as Python, Ansible and Terraform
• Experience with designing cloud implementation architectures and solutions using PaaS, DevOps & coding
• Business acumen –understanding of customer value
• Operational Performance – Understanding of and/or experience with Theory of Constraints (TOC).
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 17,000 employees within 90 facilities in 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world. And in 2019, revenue increased to $2.62 billion.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of ~85% of the drugs approved by the FDA in 2019.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Disabled/Vet.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.