Join the diverse and dynamic team that powers Michigan’s largest energy provider and one of the nation’s largest gas and electric combination utilities. Consumers Energy services 6.7 million of Michigan’s 10 million residents – caring for our friends and neighbors in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties. We embrace a cleaner and leaner utility vision focused on eliminating energy waste and adding renewable energy from sources such as wind and solar.
At Consumers Energy, we offer more than just a place to work. We foster a culture that supports career development, growth, and stability, and we take pride in offering our co-workers excellent benefits and compensation packages. We are deliberately creating an inclusive culture that makes our diverse team of co-workers feel valued, supported, and empowered every day. We’re a company made up of thousands of people, all with different stories to share and work to do, but we stand united in our company purpose: world class performance delivering hometown service.
This position will work within Budget & Planning (B&P) – Electric Engineering.
• Strategic Business Planning: Coordinate long-term strategic planning for B&P business units.
• Compliance: Provide data support for compliance auditing and assist in revision of procedures to align with standard and format.
• Accounting: Support corporate month-end close process; Provide standardized reporting to improve data transparency and consistency.
• Economics: Perform economic analysis for projects
The primary responsibility is to monitor and maintain project budget and forecasts. Secondary duties may include support of Accounting Department requirements and general accounting analysis as required.
- Monitor financial activities for assigned areas to ensure accurate financial distribution according to general and FERC accounting principles.
- Budgeting, forecasting, and monitoring actuals for assigned financial activities for Capital/O&M according to policies and procedures issued by various regulatory bodies
- Project accounting, interface with engineering and Enterprise Project Management (EPM) – Project Controls to determine and review project budget, forecasts, cash flow projections, variances, AFUDC, identity budget risks and gap analysis. Work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality “Internal Customer Service”.
- Analyze, interpret and verify financial documents and reports; make corrections and update as necessary
- Month-end close process including accruals, journal entries and variance explanations
- Support financial reporting, consolidated financial reporting, rate case, discovery and audit
- Capital asset “In-Service” Authorizations
- Joint Owner accounting
- Closing assets to property records
- Interact with internal and external clients to identify, research and analyze situations
- Strategic Financial Alignment
- Support the Changelog process and activities.
- Support LTFP and Flex Plan processes and activities
- Support the development and implementation of standardization of financial work processes, continuous improvement by automating and leveraging technology and process protocol to support the Company’s strategic goals.
• Bachelor degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, related field or equivalent experience
• 3+ years of experience
• 5 + years of experience in related field
• Demonstrate strong data analytical skills including collecting, organizing data effectively to minimize work effort
• Ability to effectively and professionally communicate with business customers, managers & directors, and members of the team
• Ability to balance numerous tasks and shift focus
• Willing to assist other team members and take on new projects
• Knowledge of the month end close process, budgeting, and variance analysis
• Knowledge of SAP, work orders, purchase requisitions, payment requests
• Knowledge utility operations, BI Reporting & SharePoint
The position will be filled based on the candidate’s experience using the Accounting Analyst job family.
Oversee the management of general ledger, production of periodic reports, year-end financial reporting, and coordination of the accounting and reporting close schedules with departments. Ensure effective communication to facilitate and ensure adherence to policies and procedures. Act as liaison to internal and external auditors and participate in auditing projects or provide information and access to accounting records. Responsible for the accuracy of financial records by conducting ongoing review of policies and procedures with state and federal regulations, code, ordinances, CAAP, GAGAS and BARS. Supervise and coordinate the activities of a designated unit; determine work procedures, prepare work schedules and determine methods for expediting work flow; assigns, reviews and approves the work of subordinate
staff. Review accounting pronouncements issued by various regulatory bodies, such as the GAAP Board, and recommend revision to policies and procedures. Assist Accounting Manager with planning and implementation of financial projects and programs. Maintain records of all fund activities; analyze and reconcile fund charges and recommend necessary adjustments. Analyze, interpret, and verify financial documents and reports; make corrections and update as necessary. Maintain regular, predictable and punctual attendance during regularly scheduled work hours as assigned worksite.
Hours and Travel
Some occasional travel required for off-site meetings, training or between company locations. Work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must lift and move up to twenty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.