Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
The internship with Amtrak’s Safety & Technical Training (S&TT) team is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience administering Amtrak’s learning management system (LMS), Amtrak Learning Center (ALC). The intern will assist in the evolution of the LMS, this includes developing processes for managing and uploading course content, supporting users, and assigning learning. The intern will collaborate with technical training design team members on a transformational document management project and data quality assurance project.
The intern will work in collaboration with various levels of stakeholders including S&TT Instructional Designers, Trainers/Facilitators, and Training Managers, as well as HR, and IT.
The Intern will have the opportunity to affect change while expanding their leadership skills, and technical knowledge.
- Provide support to Director of Training Analytics and Sr. Learning Systems Specialist on LMS process improvement projects and initiatives
- Collaborate with team members to implement document management best practices and establish an organized electronic document library
- Utilize quality assurance strategies to detect and correct problems with LMS data
- Establish and maintain data integrity rules and processes for the LMS such as course descriptions, course changes, assignment of course categories and course maintenance
- Assist with daily operations support of the LMS, develop processes for managing and uploading course content, supporting users, and assigning learning
- Consult with team members and participate in business requirements gathering and workflow process design
- Create job aids and tutorials as needed to help employees familiarize themselves with the LMS and its functionality
- Generates standard reports, as requested, and assists with data analysis
- Troubleshoot LMS issues
- Provide excellent internal customer service
- Assist with other special projects, and duties as needed
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Attention to detail
- Inquisitive and willing to ask questions to gain solid understanding of task at hand
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, SharePoint, Teams)
- Relevant work experience (e.g., internships, school jobs)
- Prior experience with document management best practices preferred but not required
- Prior experience with quality assurance preferred but not required
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Transportation || Internships & Co-Ops