Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
As a member of the HR Talent Management team, the Intern will contribute to exciting efforts to grow and strengthen Amtrak’s talent to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Here are three initiatives the Intern will engage in:
- Promoting development and other coaching conversations and equipping managers with the tools and guidance to be effective.
- Strengthening Amtrak’s talent pipeline through improving our succession planning and high potential processes, programs and tools.
- Collecting, tracking, analyzing and packaging data to help leaders and HR be proactive to engage and retain talent.
The HR Talent Management team (a Senior Manager and Sr Talent Management Specialist) communicates across HR and organizational boundaries in order to be successful. Some key stakeholders include the Learning and Development team, HR Business Partners, HR Generalists, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging, Total Rewards, Law and Corporate Communications. In addition, talent programs won’t be successful without understanding the business of running a railroad. Understanding the thoughts and needs of executives and operational groups is critically important.
The Intern will leverage team expertise, industry best practices, benchmarks and research, change management principles, and academic background to engage in work activities, such as,
- Developing and executing a communications plan;
- Developing tools and resources;
- Data analytics; and
- Planning, organizing and coordinating talent processes and activities.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Psychology, Human Resources, or other similar degree
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Experience in Microsoft Office software suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and tight deadlines
- Must be comfortable performing analysis and preparing summary findings
- Ability to work independently on specific projects
- Experience in developing presentations
- Pursuing a graduate degree in human resources or organizational development/psychology
- Experience working in a professional office setting
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Human Capital
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Human Capital || Internships & Co-Ops