Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Have a passion for Emergency Management and Preparedness Planning. As an Intern at Amtrak, you will learn the foundational principles of what it takes to create, implement, test, and improve a wide range of emergency management procedures. You will work under close supervision of an Emergency Preparedness Senior Director and in collaboration with all levels of stakeholders: from emergency management professionals and other business stakeholders to develop and implement policies and procedures relating to emergency preparedness and management. Individuals in this role use project management knowledge and technical writing skills to support assigned projects, including:
- Develop plans and procedures for major disruptions or emergencies
- Validation of emergency management procedures
- Prepare policies and briefings on emergency preparedness subject matter
- Participate in fieldwork to execute emergency simulations or carry out protocol in crisis situations
- Support project performance reporting
- Create and maintain project artifacts and ensure appropriate document and administrative controls
- Support project teams with the creation and implementation of disaster protocol.
- Create and maintain required documentation including project organization charts, distribution lists, project logs, project schedules, requirements documents, project budgets, and status reports
- Assist in development and review of disaster policies and briefings
- Coordinate project logistics, including calendars, major events, meetings and applicable materials and equipment
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Business Administration, Emergency Management, or Communications.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Relevant work experience (e.g., internships, school jobs)
- Microsoft Office experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project)
- Pursuing a graduate degree
- Ability and interest to travel as requested (approx 25%)
Job Family/Function:Safety & Security
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Safety & Security || Internships & Co-Ops