Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The internship for multimodal transportation is an exciting opportunity to improve the intercity travel network. The intern will work collaboratively Amtrak staff in the fields of marketing, IT, operations, and planning to undertake research and data projects about travel by rail, bus, ferries, and other modes of transportation that connect with Amtrak. The intern will have an opportunity to learn broadly about Amtrak’s business practices while being charged with focused technical research projects with support and guidance from Amtrak senior staff.
Amtrak provides rail transportation, as well as connecting services operated by partner carriers. The internship will focus on improvements to multimodal travel that combines Amtrak with other forms of transportation. This may include enhancements to technology systems which support travel planning, ticketing, and the customer experience. The intern may also undertake research on developing new routes that connect with Amtrak.
The intern will make new contacts in the transportation industry and acquire skills and knowledge in transportation planning, market analysis of intercity transportation, inter-carrier coordination, transportation policy, and technical processes for customer digital engagement. Intern will have rail travel privileges over portions of the Amtrak network for business purposes.
• Compile data from written sources as well as direct interviews.
• Write clearly and succinctly on technical topics.
• Create documentation of technical processes and best practices in layman terms.
• Create maps and diagrams of transportation networks.
• Prepare tables and statistical analysis of transportation services.
• Present and communicate findings to decision makers and other staff.
• Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
• Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Transportation Engineering, or a related field.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• At least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or sophomore status at minimum
• Knowledge of intercity rail and bus systems and mass transit services
• Experience with GIS.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel.
• Ability to use Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
• Experience utilizing large databases for analysis, including SQL coding and/or SAP Bussiness Objects
• Ability to travel by train or bus for meetings and research
• Senior status or graduate student
• Experience with computer programming and/or application design.
Job Family/Function:Research & Strategy
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Research & Strategy || Internships & Co-Ops