Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
As an intern at Amtrak, you will grow and develop your project management skills while working within the New Acela Program Management team, a group charged with the delivery of one of Amtrak’s most high-profile projects. You will work under close supervision of a senior program manager and in collaboration with all levels of stakeholders: from department leaders, to project/program managers, analysts, and functional leads. Individuals in this role will grow their project management knowledge and analytical skills to support project management activities, including:
- Support project performance reporting
- Create and maintain project artifacts and ensure appropriate document and administrative controls
- Work with project team members and subject matter experts to coordinate logistics for assigned projects, and perform stakeholder management functions
- The intern selected for this opportunity will join the Major Program Delivery Project Management team and will focus largely on the New Acela Program, which is a multi-billion dollar high speed trainset initiative. The intern may also be engaged with other programs as business priorities dictate.
- Engage in fast paced learning of New Acela Program work in progress and perform cross-departmental workstream activities including stakeholder engagement, data collection, document development, etc.
- Support project teams with project status reporting, risk identification, response and tracking, and other tasks to ensure compliance with audit requirements, department procedures, and enterprise standards
- Create, maintain, and/or contribute to required documentation, including project organization charts, distribution lists, project logs, project schedules, requirements documents, project budgets, meeting minutes, and status reports
- Assist in tracking of project scope, schedule, and budget
- Coordinate project logistics, including calendars, major events, meetings and applicable materials and equipment
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Project Management, Business, Management, Engineering, Science, Mathematics, Organizational Research, or Operations Analysis
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Relevant work experience (e.g., internships, school jobs)
- An interest in program and project management as a corporate practice
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Positive attitude that presents well in interactions with program leaders and partners
- Microsoft Office experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project)
- Analytical skills
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Research & Strategy
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Research & Strategy || Internships & Co-Ops