Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
As a solution architect, you will work with projects and business stakeholders to develop solutions for architecture and work with projects to ensure their solutions are consistent with IT Technology Standards, Information Security considerations, and functional and non-functional requirements.
The successful candidate will work alongside seasoned architects to help understand a complex business and technology environment.
• Effective Communicator – A successful solution architect develops communication skills that helps explain solutions to business people and developers in language that is appropriate to the audience.
• Business Architecture - understanding how our business operates is the key to building viable solution architectures.
• Strategic Business/Technology View – The ability to ensure business needs are met with appropriate technology is important to ensure technology is delivered with a business-first view, while achieving fidelity with technology standards, strategic platform choices, and take into account long-term impacts of technology choices.
• Strategic Platforms – Business agility is achieved by the use of technology platform aligned with business needs. This will entail using and improving fit/gap skills, build/buy decisions.
• Junior/Senior in Computers Science, Information Technology or Software engineering.
• Good understanding of different types of requirements and a software development background are essential.
• Understanding of Service Oriented Architecture tenets and N tier architecture deployments models.
• Must possess the ability to utilize adaptable communication skills to effectively translate between technical and business language.
• Must possess the skill to assess the client needs through direct interaction, and identify opportunities to develop the business through effective use of technology.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
• Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Internships & Co-Ops