Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The internship is an exciting opportunity to learn about train control systems including dispatching and Positive Train Control (PTC) systems which are critical to sustaining and enhancing safety of the intercity travel network. The intern will work collaboratively with Amtrak staff across IT and Operations Engineering projects. The intern will have an opportunity to learn broadly about Amtrak’s business practices while being charged with focused technical research projects with support and guidance from Amtrak senior staff.
Amtrak provides rail transportation, as well as connecting services operated by partner carriers. The internship will focus on improvements to multimodal travel that combines Amtrak with other forms of transportation. This may include enhancements to technology systems in train dispatch, ET SCADA & PTC systems. The intern may also undertake research on developing new routes that connect with Amtrak.
- Work under the supervision of assigned IT Manager(s).
- Create maps and diagrams of train track in dispatch Territory.
- Design & development of reporting system.
- Compile data from written sources as well as direct interviews.
- Write clearly and succinctly on technical topics.
- Create documentation of technical processes and best practices in layman terms.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- Must have at least 2 years of academic undergraduate studies completed or a junior status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Experience with computer programming and/or application design.
- Knowledge of Database programming (MySQL and MS-Access).
- Knowledge of Networking: Routers, Switches, Firewalls, VLANs.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Server, Domain and Workstation Architectures and Administration• Linux and/or Windows Programming.
- Configuration and/or Data Management.
- Knowledge of X-Windows, Motif under Linux environment.
- Knowledge of C++, C, Java and scripting languages under Linux environment.
- Eclipse / Bit Bucket Development environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and CAD software.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Internships & Co-Ops