Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Under the direction of the Lead Service Planner, this position will support Service Planning’s development of Service Plans for new routes and changes to existing routes as well as the development of the FY2023 Level of Operations.
Service Plans are comprehensive documents detailing all changes to Amtrak’s operation for any significant increase or change in service. They may include schedule changes, staffing increases, facility investments, consist and fleet requirements, IT infrastructure, customer experience, and impacts to other operations. Plans are used to develop consensus within the company and inform financial analysis.
The Level of Operations compiles information about how much seat capacity, scheduled train activity, and fleet we expect to operate during the year. This plan for how assets will be deployed drives statistics which serve as inputs for revenue and expense forecasting in developing the Annual Operating Plan used by Finance for budgeting and Operations for planning.
- Research, collect, and analyze data related to ridership demand, on-time performance, fleet utilization, etc.
- Coordinate with stakeholders throughout Amtrak to consolidate feedback on service proposals.
- Organize and perform quality control reviews of existing Amtrak data sources to build into Service Planning’s development of the FY2023 Level of Operations.
- Assist the Lead Service Planner in building the base year data set for the annual update of the Level of Operations using tools such as Excel, Access, and Train Plan.
- Ensure data integrity, e.g., references to appropriate data elements, etc.
- Communicate recommendations effectively and
- Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
- Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Transportation Planning, Computer Science, Economics, Mathematics, Business, Operations Management, or related analytical / quantitative field.
- Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.8 or higher.
- Experience with one or more of the following: analytical programming languages, SQL, Python, advanced Excel
- Familiarity with or previous work experience in the transportation industry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple deliverables and deadlines in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Internships & Co-Ops