Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Our team is looking for computer science interns to provide assistance in various software development projects using technologies and platforms such as MuleSoft and AWS.
• Developing and testing code for web and mobile applications using modern methods of development across the full stack (frameworks, web services, etc.)
• Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
• Interact with team members (end-users, testers, distributors, analysts and project/release managers) in a team-oriented fashion
• Support projects through entire Software Development Lifecycle
• Follow software development methodologies and best practices
• Provide end-user application support
• Adhere to web security best practices
• Implement code fixes under the direction of software architects and senior developers
• Contribute our suite of automated tests and testing infrastructure.
• Must be actively pursing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
• Must be actively pursing an undergraduate/graduate degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems (MIS), Engineering, or similar major.
• Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status at minimum.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Must have the understanding basic software programming concepts
• Ability to work well in a team establishing good working relationships with peers
• Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks with a strong attention to detail
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• Proactively carry out project support functions.
• Desire to learn and adapt to rapidly changing technologies
• Excellent communication skills, written and oral
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other IT teams
• Experience in Agile Development, Software Engineering and Software Quality Control is a plus
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Internships & Co-Ops