Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Sr Information Security Engineer position operates in a support role implementing security, technology and innovation in the Global Security Operations Center. The centers operate 24x7x365. The Global SOC is a pivotal function in the Global Security organization responsible for operation, maintenance, and monitoring of the CenturyLink Managed Security portfolio. This function includes security event management responsibilities – monitoring, detection, and triage of security events and alerts in Security Information Event Monitor (SIEM) and associated monitoring systems. It facilitates the ingress, implementation and egress of advanced client trouble / change requests for managed premise, cloud, next generation firewall, managed DDoS, Threat Intelligence and Secure Log Management products.
The Main Responsibilities
- Perform complex changes within the managed security environment
- Manage and resolve customer fault, service outage and impairment events
- Monitor, triage and response to SIEM alerts for client security events. Investigation and resolution of impairment scenarios on Managed Security products.
- Research and implement customer generated change requests for Managed Security products
- Generate incident cases and escalate to superordinate teams in accordance with time and severity-based SLA’s
- Present as technical expert delivering solutions to clients, internal business and third-party vendors.
- Directly support, train and mentor tier I and II colleagues
- Possess exceptional customer service skills
- Multi-task during events
- Communicate effectively with managers, customers and vendors
- Maintain solid working relationships, including collaborative technical activities with peers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities
- Prioritize with good time management skills
What We Look For in a Candidate
Required (education / experience / skills / competencies) Requires Bachelor’s degree in related operational or technology field plus 10 years relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-7 years in a Security Operations environment as an Info Security Engineer I or II
- Certifications In specific security technologies such as Fortinet, Arbor, Radware, Palo Alto, Cisco or Checkpoint.
- Demonstrated understanding of Denial of Service concepts and attack vectors, mitigation options
- Demonstrated proficiency in routing and networking skills, including the ability to:
- troubleshoot BGP and BGP community strings
- review and analyze packet captures
- trace customer or attack traffic through our global backbone
- understand and be able to modify policies/prefix lists on multiple router platforms
- Security industry certifications (examples):
- ITIL Foundations
- Expert level knowledge and skills of at least one programming language (python preferred)
- Demonstrate proper time and resource management skills (phone availability, ticket work, etc.)
- Able to handle customer calls regarding majority of issues supported by team
- Work within multiple ticketing platforms and accept/update/close tickets in order received.
- Regularly observed communication with peers and other functional SOC teams on selected collaboration platforms (Teams, Skype, phone, etc.)
- Demonstrate collaboration/cooperation with other Service Assurance teams outside of the SOC (IP/Ethernet, Transport, etc.)
Requisition #: 257736
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.