- Requisition ID: 232492
- Position Title: Senior Safety Services Manager
- Location: Reston, VA
- Relocation Authorized: National – Family
- Work Authorization: Possess right to work in the US without sponsorship
- Other Requirements: Pre-employment drug screen, background check
Bechtel, a 120-year-old company, has more than 55,400 colleagues; completed more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries and established presence in 7 continents. We are very proud to be named the Top U.S. Contractor by the Engineering News-Record for the 17th consecutive year. In the Nuclear, Security and Environmental global business unit, the demand for our expertise is growing as we deliver the entire project life cycle: from research and development through engineering, procurement, construction and operation to decontamination and decommissioning. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that make the world cleaner and safer.
Manages safety services functions and support within an assigned global business unit (GBU). Supervises and provides technical oversight to safety/health staff assigned at the GBU level and to project-assigned safety/health personnel on projects. Coordinates safety functions and support activities with corporate Manager of Safety Services, GBU-assigned ES&H Managers, M&BD Managers, Project Managers, Construction/Site Managers, and Engineering Managers.
A. Supervision Received
Reports to GBU-assigned ES&H Manager and receives functional support and direction from the corporate Manager of Safety Services.
B. Supervision Exercised
Provides GBU-level direction and administrative supervision to safety/health personnel assigned in the GBU as support staff and on projects.
- Maintains relationships with internal organizations (e.g., engineering, construction, and contracts) and customer and contractor/subcontractor representatives to coordinate the administration and implementation of safety/health functions on projects and facilities.
- Maintains contact with directors and/or program supervisors of relevant governmental agencies to obtain current information on new regulations, program initiatives, and technical information.
- Maintains contact with project safety/health personnel to keep them informed of safety issues and to ensure adequate technical support.
- Maintains contact with customers to exchange information on safety/health issues within the GBU or on specific projects.
- Maintains contact with GBU M&BD organizations on bid decisions and proposal development.
- Manages the safety program in the assigned GBU by establishing short- and long-term strategies as well as goals and objectives.
- Ensures that applicable corporate, GBU and project-specific safety requirements are integrated into project planning, design, and execution and that projects within the GBU are designed and constructed in compliance with applicable internal and external requirements.
- Provides safety/health technical support and assistance to projects and coordinates safety/health requirements with M&BD managers, project managers, construction/site managers, (sub)contracts managers, project engineers, ES&H managers, and other project personnel as required.
- Assigns work responsibilities and duties to safety staff assigned in the GBU and provides technical support and direction on work products (e.g., Project ES&H Plan and site-specific medical and evacuation plans).
- Participates in meetings with customers, functional managers, and contractors/subcontractors to advise them of developing safety/health issues which will impact their activities.
- Monitors, reviews, and analyzes proposed changes in safety/health laws/regulations, financial institution performance standards, and industry standards/practices potentially impacting GBU operations/projects and provides input and recommendations for addressing such changes.
- Reviews functional group policies and procedures and makes recommendations for revising/developing procedures and processes as required.
- Participates in safety personnel recruitment, training, and development. Conducts performance evaluations of safety personnel in coordination with the GBU ES&H Manager and the corporate Manager of Safety Services and reviews performance evaluations administered by subordinates.
- Provides recommendations to the GBU ES&H Manager, corporate Manager of Safety Services and the Manager of Corporate ES&H on salary actions, promotions, transfers, and terminations for safety employees assigned to the GBU.
- Interviews candidates for new safety positions and makes recommendations to the GBU ES&H Manager, corporate Manager of Safety Services and/or the Manager of Corporate ES&H regarding their suitability for employment.
- Oversees and/or develops GBU-level safety/health awareness orientation/training programs.
- Conducts safety and health assessments/reviews of GBU projects to monitor compliance with safety and health requirements including contractual commitments, permits, and internal Bechtel core processes and procedures.
- Works with the GBU ES&H Manager and corporate Manager of Safety Services and Legal on addressing and resolving pending agency non-compliances, notices of violations, potential fines and other enforcement actions.
- Advanced knowledge in a field of science, safety/industrial engineering, or related discipline.
- In-depth knowledge of national and international safety/health laws/regulations and regulatory agencies’ processes and responsibilities, industry standards for safety/health performance, and best management practices for minimizing potential safety/health hazards during project execution.
- Working knowledge of safety/health enforcement processes in countries where projects currently exist and experience in industry-specific safety/health programs and performance standards of financial institutions (e.g., World Bank, International Finance Corporation).
- Proficiency in managing safety/health organizations/programs and supervising technical staff.
- Knowledge of engineering/scientific systems, methods, and work processes.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s M&BD process and activities to identify and appropriately address safety and health-related risks for bid decisions and in responding to new work proposals.
- Advanced understanding of construction planning and execution.
- Experience in managing and/or providing technical oversight of safety/health subcontractors or consultants.
- Experience in safety/health assessments/inspections during construction.
- Experience in developing and implementing safety/health awareness training programs.
- Knowledge of Bechtel’s organization structure, functions, and administrative procedures.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor of Science degree in life sciences (e.g., biology, public health) or physical sciences (e.g., chemistry, physics), or in engineering from an accredited college or university plus 15 years of relevant, progressive work experience; or 21 plus years of progressive, relevant work experience in lieu of degree.
- Safety/health-related certifications from national/international accrediting organizations/associations.
- Prior practical work experience in office settings (e.g., managing safety/health programs, budgets, and staff) and field based programs (e.g., construction execution and/or operating facilities) performing the responsibilities listed above.
Shaping tomorrow together!
Bechtel is among the most respected engineering, project management, and construction companies in the world. We stand apart for our ability to get the job done right—no matter how big, how complex, or how remote. Bechtel operates through four global business units that specialize in infrastructure; mining and metals; nuclear, security and environmental; and oil, gas, and chemicals. Since its founding in 1898, Bechtel has worked on more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents. Today, our 53,000 colleagues team with customers, partners, and suppliers on diverse projects in nearly 40 countries.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected
veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.