Requisition ID: 241019
Requisition Posting End Date: 10/19/2021
In August of 2017, Georgia Power selected Bechtel to complete construction of the two-reactor expansion of a nuclear power plant near Augusta, Georgia. Plant Vogtle Units 3 & 4 will be the first new units built in the U.S. in the last three decades and are currently the only new units being constructed in the country.
At the peak of construction, this vital project will employ up to 5,000 on site. These positions will include building tradespeople, engineers, field supervisors, construction and project managers, quality assurance professionals, safety professionals, procurement, subcontract specialists and many others.
This position may be required to work a schedule of rotating shifts including nights, weekends, or holidays. All employees are subject to and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of continued employment for the duration of their assignment. The ability to obtain/maintain access to the facility is required.
The mechanical, piping, and/or welding QC Engineer is responsible for the planning and execution of inspections and verifications as directed by the Field Quality Control Manager. Responsibilities to include but not limited to the following:
- Reviews and implements quality control procedures, identifies nonconforming items and corrective action requirements; initiates nonconformance reports and condition reports and monitors status through to closure of corrective action.
- Reviews and monitors Construction work plans, procedures, and scope to assure adequate quality verifications are identified.
- Assigns and performs inspections in accordance with the design requirements for in-process and completed mechanical, piping, and/or welding work activities within the area of certification.
- Perform surveillance activities of on-going direct hire and subcontracted work operations.
- Review completed records for completeness and correctness.
- Use and control of construction measuring and test equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited university and 6 years of related construction experience Or in lieu of a formal degree, 12 years of related experience and a High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- Possess the right to work and remain in the US without sponsorship.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check
- Must be physically capable to conduct field inspections and participate in project walkdowns which require the following activities: extensive walking in and around a construction site, climbing ladders, climbing scaffolding, walking on elevated platforms, walking on uneven surfaces, climbing in very small and/or confined spaces, and lifting up to 60 lbs.
- Must be able to pass nuclear security screening requirements and be able to obtain and maintain unescorted access to a nuclear power facility.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheets, and database applications.
- Knowledge and experience of performing inspections in the mechanical, piping, and/or welding discipline on construction projects.
- Candidates should be self-starters, highly motivated, requiring little supervision, and able to work well in a team environment.
- Familiarity with industry quality standards.
- Must meet the project requirements for certification of a Level II mechanical, piping, and/or welding QC and be capable of achieving a Level II mechanical, piping, and/or welding QC certification.
- Good working knowledge of current design codes and standards such as ACI, AISC, ASME, NQA-1.
- Commercial nuclear power experience as a certified Level II or Level III mechanical, piping, and/or welding QC inspector.
- Previous Bechtel experience at a commercial nuclear power project or non-reactor nuclear project.
- Previous Bechtel experience in Construction Quality Control and/or Field Engineering.
- Possess working knowledge of the Bechtel Work Processes Procedures and the related Bechtel Standard application programs (BSAPs).
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.