Requisition Number: 45796
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Environmental Technologies segment manufactures ceramic substrates and filter products for emissions control in mobile and stationary applications around the world.
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science! For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning Incorporated focuses on building a diverse global workforce where differences are celebrated, and employees feel safe bringing their “whole selves” to work. Our Diversity Network hosts 18 active and distinctive Employee Resource Groups. Employees have access to Allyship resources, podcasts, an internal video channel, digital learning series and trainings, all focused on building and celebrating global diversity and inclusion. Corning has been recognized as a leader in this regard and has been consistently recognized as a national employer of choice.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Lead engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective automation and machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
- Lead large-scale, complex projects and teams, on both early and late innovation stage projects, through concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and the installation into manufacturing.
- Work with project team members to solve difficult mechanical engineering and equipment related problems, resolve project related issues, and develop basic understanding of process requirements.
- Manage a cross functional team that have been assembled to develop, design, build and install manufacturing equipment and product lines.
- Set project priorities and tactical direction for the team based on impact to business results, constrained resources and timelines required to manage and support a broad range of manufacturing projects.
- Actively manage the project progress and program risks in order to proactively mitigate critical barriers and deliver projects on time.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment and participate on a highly matrixed project team
- Develop a high level of fundamental understanding of the process and materials to enable the development of cost-effective products and machine systems.
- Understand how to integrate commercially available technologies and processes to enable Corning, Inc. to develop into robust next generation process equipment solutions.
- Able to effectively leverage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of machine system implementation.
- Be responsible for the functional and operational integrity of design, estimating costs, defining project scope, budget and schedule
- Be responsible for identification of project resources necessary to complete the project tasks and coordinate the project teams efforts towards successfully achieving overall project objectives.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years managing complex projects in the design and development of process equipment and/or automated systems.
- Experience in successful development and delivery of new products or fully integrated process machine systems into manufacturing.
- Proven Project Leadership experience.
- Strong technical leadership skills that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges.
- Experience with projects requiring development of fundamental process understanding and requirements.
- Demonstrated project leadership experience with ability to achieve results through a highly matrixed project team.
- Ability to effectively manage highly ambiguous situations and effectively demonstrate leadership in assigned early stage projects.
- Ability to interface with senior management and provide clear concise program strategies, resources needs, and program updates.
- Ability to effectively leverage and manage both internal and external resources.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments with minimal supervision.
- Strong level of technical curiosity that will enable unique solutions to the technical challenges
- Experience in working with other project team members on solving difficult mechanical engineering related problems, understanding project related issues, and general process engineering and process understanding.
- Desired Skills:
- Experience with the development and implementations of sound fundamental manufacturing processes
- Knowledge of Corning’s manufacturing processes, especially in glass and ceramics.
- Demonstrated experience with Corning Innovation process.
- Experience in managing direct reports and matrixed resources
- Estimated travel at 30% – 50% depending upon specific project assignment.
- Increased travel may be required during installation, debug, and start-up as well as for routine interaction with Customers and Suppliers both domestically and international possible, based on project assignment
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.