Requisition ID: 41916
Job Category: Engineering
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Looking to take the next step in your career? Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Geometric Design Engineer to join the Infrastructure group in our Infrastructure Team in Cape Town.
New infrastructure and revitalizing assets are a key part of growth for any economy. We work with our clients to imagine and build cities of the future through a constant commitment to innovation and cutting-edge technology.
Our knowledge of infrastructure includes aviation, highways and bridges, planning and advisory services, ports, rail and transit, tunnels, and water. Want to be part of the creation and construction of our cities? Then the infrastructure team is for you!
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Lead the Geometric Design team in the Cape Town office;
- Undertake and review geometric design work of National, Provincial and Municipal Roads;
- Coordinate investigational studies e.g. Topographical Surveys, Traffic Studies, Materials Investigation, Geotechnical studies EIA and etc;
- Undertake and review stormwater drainage design;
- Prepare and review road design drawings e.g. Layout Plan, Long Sections, Cross Section and etc;
- Prepare and review schedule of quantities using COLTO, SANS 1200 and etc;
- Prepare and review tender documents and project specifications in line with CIDB;
- Good experience on dealing with different forms of contract including GCC and FIDIC;
- Act as a Contracts Engineer on some of the roads and highways projects;
- Mentor and train of junior staff;
- Assist with business development initiatives for the H&B Business Unit;
- Network and build relationship with clients e.g. Western Cape Department of Public Works and Transport, SANRAL, City of Cape Town and others;
- Act as a Project Leader or Project Manager on some of the roads and highways projects;
You bring to the role:
- A BSc, BEng or BTech in Civil Engineering with a minimum of 15 – 20 years’ experience in design of Roads and Highways and must be registered with ECSA as a Pr Eng or Pr Tech Eng.
- Demonstrate experience in complex road projects involving freeway interchange design, major provincial roads, urban arterial roads, dual carriageways, major intersections, roundabouts, drainage and etc.
- Good technical report writing skills are essential including ability to effectively communicate and liaise with clients and lead design teams.
- Must have been involved on all stages of a road project i.e. Basic Planning Studies & Reporting, Conceptual, Preliminary, Detailed Design, Preparation of Design Reports, Tender Documentation and Construction Monitoring.
- Good understanding of relevant design methods and guidelines for Roads & Highways projects at National, Provincial and Municipal level.
- Proficient in Civil 3D and AutoCAD software.
Why join us?
· Develop innovation partnerships
· Think locally, work globally
· Engage with people who make a difference
What we offer you?
· Flexible work environment.
· Long term career development
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.