Requisition ID: 234315
Requisition Posting End Date: 06/17/2021
Bechtel is on the Northrop Grumman Corp. team preparing to deliver the U.S. Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (GBSD) system of inter-continental ballistic missiles and launch infrastructure. GBSD is a vital U.S. Air Force program designed to modernize the nation’s aging force of intercontinental ballistic missiles, which make up the ground element of the nuclear deterrent. As part of the Northrop Grumman GBSD nationwide team, Bechtel will provide launch system design, construction, and integration.
A major contractor for the United States and allied governments, Bechtel has handled such efforts as chemical weapons demilitarization projects, missile defense, infrastructure, base operations, procurement and project management, and restoration and recovery spanning half a century. We use our expertise to help our customers securely and effectively transform mission delivery.
We invite you to join our team for this very interesting opportunity!
The following duties are performed with respect to Estimate Execution, the process of conducting an evaluation of services and/or capital cost elements of a project or effort as defined by an agreed-upon scope that will be used to make key management decisions:
- Drafts estimate plans for small-scale projects (inclusive of estimate budget) through evaluation of scope, contract, desired estimate type/quality, and time/resources available.
- Conducts capital cost estimates. Reviews design scope criteria and develop quantities for undefined scope assumptions in coordination with others. Prepares estimate basis and assumption documentation; and/or:
- Conducts services cost estimates. Ensures proper allocation of payroll adds. Creates cost models for fee calculations. Performs analysis on functional input to staffing plan. Prepares estimate basis and assumption documentation; and/or:
- Supports complex/conducts basic conceptual/order of magnitude (OOM) estimates. Develops conceptual quantities to supplement partial lump sum and Design-Build design documents when a definition is not available. Contributes to basis and assumption documentation.
- Assesses and integrates commercial terms and conditions into estimates under supervision.
- Prepares cost studies, trend estimates, and life cycle cost estimates in specialized areas or in the specialized discipline areas. May use modified templates. Guides others in the area of expertise.
- Reviews basic software-generated estimates for completion and technical accuracy ensuring quality and integrity and that applicable lessons learned are incorporated.
- Participates in establishing pricing structures to be applied to quantities for estimates. Establishes format and content of summaries and reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to a level of confidence.
- Identifies risk items and assigns risk levels to portions of the project work; identifies measures to mitigate risk.
- Calculates contingency through manual calculations and/or Monte Carlo analysis.
- Evaluates productivity and develops probable construction cost based on crew craft productivity.
- Performs and reviews escalation calculations for estimates of complex jobs.
- Takes a lead role in estimate reviews and presentations. Interfaces with designated management personnel on specific sections of estimate presentations.
- Prepares cost trend estimates in support of project cost trend programs.
- Performs cash flow and working capital assessments. Performs and reviews associated calculations and analyses. Predicts/extrapolates cost curves based on the experience of scheduled activities and cost correlation analysis.
The following duties are performed with respect to Foundation Development, the process of establishing and maintaining technical capabilities for personnel, cost databases, and tools.
- Obtains vendor information to update the cost data file, assists in the development of estimating databases, inclusive of input coding structure, and takes ownership of portions of the database.
- Generates and retrieves reports in the appropriate software application, understands and summarizes the data in the required presentation for management reviews.
- Directs others in the use of estimating software applications based on the estimated scope and data availability.
- Participates in developing and presenting designated subjects in training classes and provides on-the-job training for specific processes and practices.
The following duties are performed with respect to Project/Site Management Support, the process of providing support services to projects/sites in the form of external cost analysis and estimate reviews in addition to estimate-to-budget conversions:
- Performs cost and price analysis to establish price reasonableness. Reviews or assists in reviewing cost/pricing provisions of proposals and develops supporting data for contract negotiations.
- Prepares cost studies utilizing historical data, statistical analysis, and cost and quantity comparisons. Innovative and develops new techniques as required to meet specific needs.
- Converts work breakdown structure used in the estimate to project job and sub-job codes.
- Converts commodity-coding system used in the estimate to a system for a project.
Basic Qualifications and Skills:
- Level 1 – Must possess at least a bachelors’ (BS/BA) degree from an accredited university and nine (9) or more years of relevant professional experience, or in lieu of a degree, high school diploma or equivalent and fifteen (15) or more years of directly relevant professional experience.
- Level 2 – Must possess at least a bachelors’ (BS/BA) degree from an accredited university and thirteen (13) or more years of relevant professional experience, or in lieu of a degree, high school diploma or equivalent and nineteen (19) or more years of directly relevant professional experience.
- US citizenship is required per contract requirement.
- Must possess an active security clearance or an ability to obtain a security clearance.
- Must be able to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check including verification of employment, education, and travel.
- Must be able to obtain a site security badge for access to the worksite.
- Demonstrated advanced understanding of estimating core processes and procedures.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in EPC estimating practices and methods, including demonstrated ability to organize, direct, perform, review and present cost estimating products with a minimum of supervision.
- In-depth knowledge of project schedules and ability to predict/extrapolate cost curves based on the experience of scheduled activities/cost correlation analysis.
- Thorough understanding of cost index and escalation projections.
- In-depth knowledge of the applicable estimating work processes and systems.
- Knowledge of current industry and technical developments.
- Knowledge of global market pricing and construction practices.
- Knowledge in the use of technology for executing work processes.
- Proficient in Microsoft software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficient in estimating applications, as needed.
- Skilled in oral and written communication with demonstrated ability to present estimating information to peers and management.
- Proficient in design-build and lump-sum estimates for competitive bid projects.
- Demonstrated ability to readily analyze estimate data and correlate to other projects and Bechtel standards and to conceptualize the total project scope.
- Understanding charging practices, the relevant commercial influences (i.e., insurance, taxes, etc.) and the relationship of charging practices to commercial terms, invoicing and profitability.
- Understanding risk, where risk can exist, factors contributing to risk, risk management and categorization, and terms in risk management.
- Significant experience in major project estimating.
- Experience in parametric estimating techniques.
- EPC/EPCM/EVMS experience on major projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of varied backgrounds and objectives.
Shaping tomorrow together
Bechtel is one of the most respected global engineering, construction, and project management companies. Together with our customers, we deliver landmark projects that foster long-term progress and economic growth. Since 1898, we’ve completed more than 25,000 extraordinary projects across 160 countries on all seven continents. We operate through four global businesses: Infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Oil, Gas & Chemicals; and Mining & Metals. Our company and our culture are built on more than a century of leadership and a relentless adherence to our values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics, and integrity. These values are what we believe, what we expect, what we deliver, and what we live.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.