Location: LOC_1300_MKT-Wanamaker Building
Req ID: 91477
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
The Senior Improvement Advisor (IA) is a fully-experienced Improvement Professional with a mature skill set and knowledge in the science and methods of Process/ Quality improvement. The Sr. IA will work on a broad and diverse portfolio of initiatives (clinical and non-clinical) and requires the ability to flexibly adapt their style based upon the needs of the audience. The Sr. IA will be expected to lead or lend project support to multiple teams at one time.
This position requires specialized expertise in the body of knowledge, methods, and skills related to process improvement. The Sr. IA must be detail, action, solution, and results oriented. The Sr. IA must demonstrate creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in managing components of improvement projects.
The Sr. IA trains and mentors less experienced team members.
Effort – The expectation is that time spent on projects will be:
- 60% Tactical (performing and owning technical aspects of a project)
- 10% Strategic (Planning and Guidance)
- 30% Transferring Knowledge (Teaching, Coaching and Mentoring)
Technical – Improvement
- Exhibits creativity and advanced technical skill to promote organizational transformation by advising on the planning and execution of improvement efforts throughout the organization
- Applies the CHOP Improvement Framework for managing improvement projects
- Acts as a consultant on improvement science and data driven decision making.
- Demonstrates an understanding of different types of organizational problems and can identify and apply appropriate tools independently.
- Assists clinicians, clinical leaders and administrators to manage and understand improvement measures, performance dashboards and score cards and to use data analysis to drive fact-based decision making.
- Achieves measureable outcomes.
Technical – Change Management – Independently able to work in a variety of clinical/business settings to orchestrate effective individual and organizational effectiveness, including:
- Assessing human systems to gather information about factors such as satisfaction, conflict, confusion, interest.
- Strategizing with team members to determine activities or interventions to create change in a human system.
- Effectively engaging employees in an open dialogue and other activities to address resistance and build commitment to change
- Developing communications strategies to support change
Technical – Team Facilitation
- Effectively builds and facilitates improvement teams with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Builds effective sponsorship and process ownership (Accountability)
- Manages dysfunctional team behaviors when observed
Building Organizational Capability
- Plans, coordinates, and provides formal and just in time training on the CHOP Improvement Framework and tools.
- Demonstrates understanding of adult learning principles.
- Provides coaching and consultation on the use of a standardized approach to improvement work
- Supports regulatory and accreditation activities, including participation in Joint Commission and Department of Health surveys and accreditation readiness
- Works with leaders and staff to integrate Safety Behaviors for Error Prevention into one’s work.
- Acts as an organizational patient safety champion, and as a working member of the patient safety and quality improvement leadership of the organization, supports patient safety concepts and methods and high reliability principles.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Process reengineering/quality improvement experience
- At least five (5) years of professional experience
- At least three (3) years in Process/ Quality improvement role with a focus on healthcare.
- Prior experience demonstrating leadership skills to achieve expected results
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Master’s Degree
Preferred Experience: Experience working in healthcare
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: Certificate in quality management or patient safety strongly recommended. (CPHQ, CQM, ASQ certification, Six Sigma, Lean Certification)
Additional Technical Requirements
- Demonstrated leadership experience managing cross-functional work teams with no direct reporting relationship. These teams include internal employees as well as consultants and contractors.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Visio
- Familiarity with Microsoft Access
- Familiarity with Statistical Process Control
- Knowledge of organizational dynamics, change theory, reliability and safety science, improvement methods and tools, measurement and statistical process control
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when necessary
- Ability to work under stress and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills are required for the successful management of this function.
- Demonstrates strong ability to prioritize work, excellent organizational skills and initiative to improve processes.
- Change agent demeanor. Must be a flexible thinker, with an ability to quickly adapt to a changing environment.
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146