Requisition ID: 36244
Job Category: Engineering
With over six decades of business and technical experience in the mining, energy, and infrastructure sectors, we understand that challenges are changing rapidly in every industry. We respond quickly with solutions that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. We draw upon our 9,000 staff with experience in over 150 countries to challenge the status quo and create positive change for our clients, our employees, and the communities we serve.
Looking to take the next step in your career? Hatch is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Engineer, Tailings to join the Metals team in Mississauga.
Hatch has been serving the world’s mining and metals industry with studies, design, engineering, development of innovative technologies, and project and construction management through to commissioning and operations for both greenfield and brownfield facilities.
As the mining industry faces new challenges, our focus is on innovation. Join us in helping our clients create measurable improvements to their operations throughout the entire mining lifecycle value chain
As the successful candidate, you will:
- Focus on the development of Tailings & Mine Closure (T&MC) Practice solutions locally at Mississauga for WCA and support the Western Canada market with a focus to provide operational support and manage existing projects and also to expand Hatch's existing clients base in the other regional clusters as well, mostly in the Americas;
- Manage all levels of studies, but mostly from scoping to the basic engineering phases and guide larger multi-disciplinary teams in the execution of T&MC projects with a defined inclination for ground engineering design and efficient dewatering, transport and disposal arrangements; cost estimating and construction quality assurance;
- Coordination and management of multi-disciplinary teams to develop integrated tailings, mine waste and mine water management solutions for the selection of sites, tailings dewatering process technologies, subsurface investigation studies and laboratory tests programmes for material characterization (geotechnical and geochemical), transport and conveyance studies and final disposal including embankment design, deposition modeling, capping and closure studies, as well as surface water management, dam break analyses, flood routing to evaluate and size channels/pipes;
- Have a marked discipline inclination and relevant experience for advanced geotechnical engineering design in seismic regions and construction of mine waste facilities;
- Development of material takeoffs and conceptual level CapEx and OpEx cost estimates and schedules.
- Preparing technical documentation including reports, specifications and design basis memorandums as well as reviewing and coordinating civil designers and helping prepare engineering drawings;
- Conduct eventual senior reviews and technical audits or sponsorship of key T&MC projects in the Americas within the Hatch business;
- Business development and marketing to existing and new Hatch clients in the mining sector as well as independently preparing of expressions of interest and technical proposals;
- Supporting with tailings dewatering technology development related to T&MC projects;
- Provide career direction, mentorship and management of engineers, geologists and CAD designers.
You bring to the role:
- Consulting or construction recognized experience in the mining sector with preferred post-graduate degree(s) in geotechnical, mining or hydrotechnical engineering;
- Leadership skills with proven ability to mentor intermediate engineers, designers and technicians;
- 15 to 20 years' experience in integrated tailings management facilities' design, integrated mine water management design, mine closure management or mine waste geotechnical engineering;
- Construction/field experience (construction quality assurance, drilling or oversite of operational activities);
- Eligible or holder of Professional Engineer designation in Ontario or easily transferrable from elsewhere in Canada and knowledge of CDA, MAC, ANCOLD and ICMM tailings and mine waste design and operation guidelines;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills in the technical and commercial fields. Preferred bilingual proficiency in French and/or Spanish and/or Portuguese;
- Works well and seamlessly in an international team with a strong client focus;
- History of effective business development and strong existing client relationships;
- Project management skills and WIV/WIH measurement tools;
- Highly proficient in MS Office suite of tools including: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Project;
- Strong geotechnical modelling with GeoSlope suite, especially Slope/W and Seep/W or similar. Experience with FLAC-2D modelling will desirable.
- Ability to travel internationally for business based from either the Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver international airports to support global operations;
- Valid passport preferably with international recognition and a driver's license from a Canadian province.
Why join us?
- Develop innovative solutions
- Think locally, work globally
- Engage with people who make a difference
What we offer you?
- Long term career development
- Work with world class experts
- Flexible work environment.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any special needs requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.