Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
As a Senior Director, Data Infrastructure as a Platform, you will lead a high-performance group of 20+ data engineers that design, build, test, maintain, and scale data pipelines, data storage, master data management, data fabric platforms across various source systems and streams (Internal, third party, cloud-based, etc.) within Lumen. This person will spearhead the continuous improvement of reliability, scalability, and stability of the enterprise data platforms. They will also function as the Chief of Staff to the Senior Vice President and Chief Data Officer (CDO). This individual will help the SVP direct their focus, help streamline administration activities for the Foundation Services department, and coordinate communications and change management with other areas of Lumen. This role is critical to the systematic operating function of the Lumen CDO’s leadership team and organization, handling day-to-day activities to allow the SVP to focus on transforming our business.
The Main Responsibilities
- Lead a team of 20+ data engineers to develop, automate, and operate Data Infrastructure as a Platform for Lumen to meet standards for reliability, security, and scalability
- Contribute to and lead standard operating procedures and process for regulating and enforcing governance and design patterns related to this area
- Manage large scale, high-performance multi-cloud platforms for: data streaming, storage, Master Data Management (MDM), and AI platform infrastructure
- Implement MDM platform solutions for data matching, data cleansing, and data integration
- Maintain existing data pipelines and develop new data pipelines using streaming capabilities
- Define and execute direct and extended staff meeting agendas for the CDO. This includes cadence of town halls, all hands meetings, management meetings, and operation reviews
- Ensure the CDO is thoroughly prepared for all external and large internal meetings; manage necessary prep calls, ensure prep information is consolidated into a digestible format, etc.
- Partner with HR on people planning (work force planning, location strategy, org structure management, and people metrics)
- Manage internal communications strategy (intra-org and on behalf of the org – partnering with the Senior Manager of Communications)
What We Look For in a Candidate
- 10+ years of experience in a data infrastructure lead positions along with a BS degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- 7 + years of experience leading data services for large scale distributed systems with the ability to build, lead, influence, and motivate teams through times of change
- Experience creating and implementing data governance, data security, and data management policies and procedures that ensure best practices
- Experience building data pipeline framework for data workflow to process large data sets and near Real-Time & Batch Data Pipeline development
- Possess strong knowledge or familiarity with Confluent, Informatica, Datastax, Cloudpak, Talend. Familiarity with Azure, Google cloud environments preferred but not a requirement
- Develop data catalogs and data cleanliness as part of domain mastery and data as a product
- Experience building streaming data pipelines using Confluent or other similar data streaming solutions
- Proven track record of success in an operational role where executive priorities are translated in to actionable plans that can be tracked
- Ability to navigate complex stakeholder management situations
- Advanced Powerpoint, Excel and Word skills
Requisition #: 266414
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.