Job Location: 200 Park Ave: New York, NY or 881 Elkridge Landing Road: Linthicum Heights, MD
Role Value Proposition:
We are seeking a seasoned, accomplished and motivated attorney to join the company’s legal department. Reporting to Versant Health’s General Counsel, the attorney will provide strategic advice on how Versant Health, a national managed vision care company, may meet its business needs while complying with applicable Medicare Advantage, Medicaid Managed Care, and state health insurance laws.
- Primary legal counsel to the Chief Compliance Officer and the Compliance Department on the legal requirements under Medicare Advantage and Medicaid Managed Care programs as well as state insurance laws and regulations.
- Provide legal advice on the company’s licensure requirements, including HMO, PPO, TPA, and UR.
- Provide legal advice to Versant Health’s Privacy Officer and others on compliance with privacy and data security laws, including HIPAA.
- Research and analyze managed care and state insurance laws.
- Coordinate with the business, government relations, communications, and other cross-functional teams on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Mentor and supervise junior attorneys.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Law degree (J.D. or equivalent) and bar admission required with a minimum of ten years of relevant legal experience, with at least 4 years of experience practicing health law
- Experience advising managed care companies that participate in Medicare Advantage and Medicaid Managed Care programs.
- Strong research skills and ability to translate complex legal issues into practical and actionable advice and recommendations.
- Ability to handle complex legal matters with minimal oversight while escalating significant issues in a timely fashion.
- Sound judgment, high degree of professional, and a sense of urgency and commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Communicates clearly, concisely and persuasively with a variety of internal stakeholders (corporate business partners, team members, functional colleagues, etc.), works collaboratively and builds effective partnerships.
- Proactive and solution oriented.
- In-house experience
- Prior experience advising managed care companies.
- Interest in continuous quality improvement in the delivery of legal services.
Legal Affairs – U.S. Insurance Law
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.”
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $651 billion of total assets under management as of September 30, 2020. We are ranked #48 on the Fortune 500 list for 2020. In 2019, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fourth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Requisition #: 116250