Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
The Security Principal Technology Architect is Lumen’s premier customer-facing expert in security solutions. This exciting customer-facing role will work in partnership with our Sales, Solution Engineering & Customer Success Executives, representing Lumen’s Security products and consulting practice and leading innovative conversations that help shape the growth of our enterprise customers as they embrace the 4th Industrial Revolution. In this role, you will work with our largest clients with sophisticated and complex operating environments. You’ll facilitate business development conversations with CISOs or other c-level executives to ascertain these leader’s security strategy, security challenges, and key security initiatives. Having “walked a mile in their shoes” as a former CISO and/or experience at a big-5 or large consulting agency, you establish credibility as a though leader in the security practice.
To be successful, you’ll have a strong desire to leverage your technical skills and business acumen, to understand business requirements, develop a technical sales strategy, and effectively present solutions that address our customers’ requirements and provide business value.
The Main Responsibilities
- Customer Meetings: Leads and/or attends customer meetings in person and via collaboration tools. Prepares and delivers technical proposals and presentations with the appropriate level of business acumen for the audience. Comfortable and regularly interacts with customer C-level, enterprise architects and individuals with expert level industry certifications (e.g. Cisco-CCIE, AWS-Professional, Microsoft-Expert). Provides broad scope responses to solution and technology questions. Demonstrates advanced solution selling abilities and effective, pro-active customer communications.
- Specialized Solution Design: Go-to expert for Technology Architects and Solution Architects utilizing expertise, knowledge and experience for a highly complex customer solution. Provide on-demand design, solution best practices and industry expertise to the sales teams during the Learn/Buy/Get phases of the customer lifecycle journey. Without assistance, design technical solutions that meet the customers’ business objectives by mapping to Lumen products and ensure all elements of the design are integrated and interoperable, not only technically but also operationally. Clarifies ambiguous requirements with sales and clients, ensuring the solution resolves underlying client issues. Provides guidance and alternatives to customer’s requirements. May interpret customer requirements based on limited information.
- Customer Solution Development: Identify our customer’s business and technology goals, conduct full technical discovery, and architect client solutions to meet gathered requirements. Craft and propose custom solutions that differentiate Lumen’s services and meet customer’s requirements and business goals. Exceptional understanding of technical and product boundaries within areas of specialization and understanding of multi-product solutions and how these products interact with each other as to what is standard, what is available via special approval process, and what is not able to be provided.
- Internal and External Training: Follow industry technology trends through self-study and formal training and shares this knowledge with the teams they support along with their peer groups. Advises customers, sales and customer success on technical aspects of proposed solutions including fit to customer’s needs, features, availability, etc. Works to enable Technology Solutions peers by freely sharing knowledge of process, key contacts, technology, and product in their area of specialization.
- Thought Leadership: Provide influential unique insights and guidance to customers based on your deep experience and knowledge. Be a visionary and thought leader, sharing innovative and forward-thinking ideas that create positive disruption. Capable of writing white papers, blogs and briefs and very comfortable speaking at industry events and participating in panel discussions.
- Product Partnership: Internal feedback loop to management, product, marketing, architecture & engineering and operations regarding the customer experience, product features/functionality, process improvement, and service implementation/management. Drives transformational change within the company, constantly looking for areas to improve product or process across the customer journey cycle. Partners with Product Management in areas of process and design improvement within specific product area
- Custom Solutions: Exceptional understanding of technical and product boundaries within areas of specialization and understanding of multi-product solutions and how these products interact with each other as to what is standard, what is available via special approval process, and what is not able to be provided.
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, related fields or equivalent industry experience in the private sector or military
- Work experience: Minimum 15 years of experience with pre-sales, operations, engineering, and IT services industry.
- General Experience: Pre-sales role responsible for needs identification, qualification, and solutions design with certain
- Technical Knowledge: Possess knowledge of Enterprise Architecture and Design. Expert technical knowledge across multiple Lumen technology pillars (Global network infrastructure, edge cloud capabilities, connected security, communication, and collaboration services) and extensive knowledge of competitive offerings and trends.
- Communication: Ability to independently orchestrate & lead discussions with clients across many levels including C-level, VPs and Directors within IT as well as the customer’s most sophisticated technical experts. Advanced written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to work with multiple levels of decision making. Clearly articulate technical solutions in writing, on the phone, using video, or in person.
- Sales Ability: Proven track record of success attaining sales quota through leveraging technical relationships to up-sell existing customers and calling on new leads/prospects to generate business within an assigned territory utilizing solution selling methodologies. Ability to guide discussions with internal stakeholders to construct Total Cost of Ownership & evaluate Return on Investments for large enterprise customers when identifying & crafting customer solutions. Independently drive solutions & outcomes with ecosystem including sales, customer success, product, engineering and operations.
- Problem Solving: Expert problem-solving skills and ability to methodically understand and resolve complex issues across multiple products to integrate into a seamless customer solution. Must demonstrate the ability to focus ambiguous customer needs into specific, deliverable requirements. Must demonstrate creative solution development.
- Work Style: Ability to work independently, part of a team or pull together and lead a team to build complex customer solutions. Must be able to build strong team relationships and easily transfer technical information. Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and on multiple projects simultaneously. Must be very detail oriented and demonstrate a high degree of accuracy. Attention to detail with good organizational capabilities. Ability to prioritize with good time management skills.
- Presentation Skills: Must possess expert level communication skills capable of creating engaging proposals and presenting to customers at any level of expertise.
- Computer Skills: Advanced knowledge and usage of computer business applications such as Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint required.
- Strong listening, reasoning, and objection handling skills.
- Industry certification: in 2 or more specialized technologies.
- Some Travel required.
- Desired Skills:
- Experience in solution consulting – ITIL
- Experience in Cloud & Architecture design
- Experience in Network Functions Virtualization
- Experience in Security solutions
Requisition #: 266378
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, “protected statuses”). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.