With a global portfolio of over 100 unique wine and spirits brands, we are the largest family-owned winery in the world. Apply Today! Our Brands. Your Future.
Under general supervision, performs the seasonal routine physical and chemical analysis of grapes, grape products, alcoholic beverages, water and other related materials pertaining to the operation of the company and related entities while observing the department's safety practices, procedures and quality system.
- Performs the routine analysis utilizing appropriate distillation, titrametric, colorimetric and instrumental methods during the grape harvest season.
- Operates laboratory instruments such as an auto-titrator, refractometer, density meter, ion specific electrodes, gas chromatographs, high performance liquid chromatographs, infrared analyzers, atomic absorption spectrometer, balances, turbidimeters, and other instruments as required to perform duties.
- Analyzes and processes laboratory samples.
- Receives rush samples, prioritizes samples and tests, analyzes samples and reports results in a timely manner as specified.
- Enters test results into the laboratory information management system in a timely manner.
- Selects and prepares chemical solutions used in the laboratory.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned by the Supervisor including, but not limited to, sampling, cleaning, record clerk duties and special projects.
- Maintains satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory consideration.
- This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future.
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree with a minimum of 12 units of completed college level chemistry or biology courses with labs; OR In the process of and will obtain a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree when Harvest begins (July/August) with a minimum of 12 units of completed college level chemistry or biology courses with labs; OR High School Diploma or State-issued equivalency certificate, plus 3 years of Laboratory Technician experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility OR High School Diploma or State-issued equivalency certificate, plus 3 Harvest Seasons as a Gallo Laboratory Assistant.
- Required to possess strong verbal, written, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Required to lift and carry cases of product that can weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Required to maintain 3 shift availability (day, swing, and graveyard); required to work overtime and weekends when necessary.
- Required to conduct work at extreme heights.
- Required to be at least 21 years of age.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Biology, Food or Fermentation Science, Viticulture/Enology, or Microbiology, plus 1 year of Laboratory Technician experience.
- Skilled in the use of MS Excel and MS Word at a basic level.
- Experience reading and interpreting documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Skilled in writing routine reports and correspondence.
- Experience speaking before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Skilled in working with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Skilled in applying concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
- Experience solving practical problems and dealing with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Skilled in interpreting a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or bend/stoop/kneel and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, grasp or feel. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to climb stairs to the upper levels of receiving, tanks and crush equipment. Sitting only occurs while entering data into the computer. The employee is frequently carrying sample bottles (375mL or 750mL) or equipment, up and down the around the winery. Pulling occurs on an occasional basis throughout the workday. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
To view a full job description, please click here.
Requisition ID: 80202
Gallo is an Equal Employment opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles (such as braids, locks, and twists), color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition as defined by applicable state law (including cancer and predisposing genetic characteristics in California), genetic information, marital status, familial status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation (actual or perceived), transgender status, sex stereotyping, age, military or veteran status, domestic violence or sexual assault victim status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Gallo is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.
If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at 209.341.7000.