Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. The safety of our passengers, our more than 20,000 colleagues, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of you.
By living the Amtrak values and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for analyzing, designing,developing and installing software solutions. The role is also a point of escalation for operational support for assigned systems. Daily responsibilities may include development, configuration and/or integration; ensuring issues and tickets are resolved quickly; working with project managers, Senior Principal Software Engineers, Business System Analysts, IT service owners and IT service offering leads to keep all parties formally updated and aware of development efforts and issue resolution status; and providing technical leadership for operational and project related initiatives. The Principal Software Engineer provides daily technical oversight throughout the project lifecycle. This role works closely with customers,business analysts and team members to understand the business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical
• Leads the software development approach as an engineering exercise; confirms requirements are clear, follows a documented development methodology and makes sure a unit testing regimen is followed to deliver code per designs. Designs, builds and suggests architecture that will last beyond current initiative or product effort.
• Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development and proposed solutions.
• Leads technical direction and decisions, follows a documented development methodology and makes sure a unit testing regimen is followed to deliver code per designs.
• Collaborates with enterprise architect and infrastructure to integrate applications and hardware.
• Ensures that the design and application implementation meet security and QA standards.
• Creates and updates documentation as necessary to ensure architectures, designs and other descriptions are up to date and describes the as‐deployed system.
• Ensures development teams are following applicable standards for methodologies, integration, tools, and testing.
• Ensures documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code are followed.
• Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards and programming.
• Protects Amtrak by following Information Security standards and applying consistently.
• Adheres to quality standards and procedures. Reviews modules for quality assurance and checks compliance with application architecture standards and Service Level Agreements (SLAs). May assist in defining development guidelines and standards to be utilized in software development/integration.
• Proactively recommends and provides ongoing maintenance of applications.
• Assists in the development of user guides and training documentation.
• Provides technical guidance or system process expertise.
• Develops reports and presentations for senior management, as needed.
• May manage vendor relationships that are required to provide operational support.
• May coordinate preventative maintenance activities between vendors, IT and the business, including the installation of service packs, patches, and hot fixes.
• Keeps abreast of new technical standards and practices.
• Analyzes/monitors applications to ensure that the functionality and performance meets all product and service level requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems, software engineering or business management plus 7+ years relevant experience or 11+ years of relevant work experience in subject matter expert capacity required to satisfy education and experience requirements.
• Deep General Web, Cloud & Mobility Background. Very strong knowledge of core Internet (HTTP, Mail, REST, DB, Data Modeling etc.)
• Very strong documentation and communication skills.
• Ability to articulate complex architectures in completeness and detail that demonstrate a mastery of the topic.
• Highly proficient knowledge of algorithms, data structures, design patterns and the experience with programming languages is required.
• Extremely proficient in frontend (Web) or backend (Server) or mobile application development or cloud platform services.
• Expert Proficiency in the following technologies and methods.
• Supply chain planning modules in the following areas:
– Demand management; Supply planning and execution; Production planning and detailed scheduling; Inventory optimization planning, Sales and operations planning, Transportation planning, Data Integration from SAP ECC core modules in MM/IM/WM; and Supply chain analytics.
– Experience in Supply Chain Planning applications like SAP APO/IBP or OMP or IBM QNIQUA is preferred
– SAP ECC / EWM – MM , IM, EWM
• Broad level of understanding of information systems and application architecture standards.
• Extensive experience with Agile methodologies and techniques including SCRUM and SAFE frameworks
• Ability to work well under deadlines and in a flexible environment.
• Must have experience/in‐depth knowledge of business operations and systems requirements processes including ability to measure short‐ and long‐term business goals.
• Must possess the ability to utilize adaptable communication skills to effectively translate between technical and business language.
• Must possess the skill to educate project team members on business unit goals and objectives and educate the business on the value of information technology.
• Ability to identify, propose and oversee the execution of business solutions as well as interpret documents communicating business needs and requirements.
• Must possess the skill to assess the client needs through direct interaction and identify opportunities to develop the business through effective use of technology.
• Excellent troubleshooting, analysis, and problem‐solving skills.
• Excellent communication skills ‐ both oral and written.
• Master’s Degree
• 9+ years of relevant experience in a subject matter expert capacity.
• S4 Hana deployment experience
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; N/A; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Corporate Jobs