At BWX Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: BWXT), we are People Strong, Innovation Driven. Headquartered in Lynchburg, Va., BWXT provides safe and effective nuclear solutions for national security, clean energy, environmental remediation, nuclear medicine and space exploration. With approximately 6,400 employees, BWXT has 12 major operating sites in the U.S. and Canada. We are the sole manufacturer of naval nuclear reactors for U.S. submarines and aircraft carriers. Our company supplies precision manufactured components, services and fuel for the commercial nuclear power industry across four continents. Our joint ventures provide environmental remediation and nuclear operations management at more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy and NASA facilities. BWXT’s technology is driving advances in medical radioisotope production in North America and microreactors for various defense and space applications. Follow us on Twitter at @BWXTech and learn more at www.bwxt.com.
BWXT is currently seeking a RTR Process Engineer for its Lynchburg, VA location!
The RTR Process Engineer supports and oversees the daily manufacturing of Research and Test Reactor (RTR) aluminum-clad uranium fuel assemblies.
- Serves as the process owner for aluminum structural component procurement and processing, fabrication of uranium fuel and aluminum-clad fuel plates, and assembly of research reactor elements.
- Serves as a team member to oversee manufacturing processes including rolling, machining, punching, and forming.
- Ensures all customer design and quality requirements are understood, implemented, and satisfied.
- Ensures shop work instructions (drawings, procedures, etc.) are sufficient to ensure components fabricated and delivered will meet form, fit, and function.
- Participates and/or leads in the development, qualification, and implementation of new products and processes.
- Applies engineering experience and innovation to identify and implement process and equipment improvements to reduce cost and cycle time.
- Applies design-for-manufacturing principles to the current process to improve product quality, improve safety, and reduce cost.
- Identifies any new material and tooling requirements and supports procurement.
- Maintains documentation of component operations, and develops and implements improvements.
- Maintains operator work instructions and provides training as-needed for component processing.
- Interacts daily with operations and QC personnel to resolve manufacturing process issues and product deviations.
- Interfaces with external customers and suppliers to document and resolve manufacturing process issues and product deviations.
- Implements process controls and analyzes data to optimize processing parameters.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited university plus four (4) years of experience is required.
- Must possess previous experience in leading/working in small groups to resolve technical issues.
- Must possess knowledge of, and experience with, machining and assembly manufacturing processes.
- Must demonstrate excellent experience in interpreting customer design drawings and specifications.
- Must have demonstrable skills and knowledge in PC applications such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Previous experience in data acquisition and analysis to ensure process control is required.
- Must be able to demonstrate superior written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills in order to effectively interface with customers, vendors, and manufacturing personnel.
- Must demonstrate strong technical writing skills, including the ability to comprehend and convey detailed technical information.
- Previous experience with SAP, Solumina, MiniTab is preferred.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is required.
- Must be a US Citizen with no dual citizenship.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) clearance.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. citizenship with (no dual citizenship) ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation, drug test and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.