Primary location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Relocation offered: No
Employment status: Full-Time
What does it mean to work at Armstrong?
It means being immersed in a supportive culture that recognizes you as a key player in Armstrong’s future. We are a large company with a local feel, where you will get to know and collaborate with leadership and your colleagues across the company.
By joining us, you’ll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. Alongside a competitive remuneration package, you will receive:
- A benefits package including: medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, 401k match, long-term disability coverage, vacation and sick time, product discount programs and many more.
- Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests.
- A casual work environment where we have a recognition program for our team, and service awards. You will also be able to make the most of our fitness center and lunchtime cafe.
- A working culture that balances individual achievement with teamwork and collaboration. We draw on each other’s strengths and allow for different work styles to build engagement and satisfaction to deliver results.
AWI is currently seeking a Technician – New Product Development (NPD) to join our Product Design/Product Development team in Lancaster, PA. As a Technician, you will be responsible for performing a wide variety of technical tasks including, but not limited to, testing of new materials and product structures.
Additionally, you will also be will be involved in creating prototypes for NPD and Innovation, supporting and enhancing the pilot plant operations, evaluating manufacturing processes, and planning and supporting factory tests. We offer many opportunities for growth and are looking for someone that embraces change and demonstrates strong organizational skillset.
Note: Up to 25% travel may be required
What you’ll be doing:
- Work safely and create safe work environment by actively participating in safety process
- Support NPD teams in both sourced and internal development projects
- Create samples, run tests, and collect data using data analysis principles
- Give technical assistance to new product innovation
- Support factory qualification tests and contribute to result evaluation
- Test and recommend alternate material substitutions
- Conduct manufacturing process qualification trials at plant and vendor locations
- Understand measurement criteria and relative importance of key product attributes
- Identify new technical approach in quality improvement, performance enhancement, and cost reductions
- Evaluate existing and new technologies to identify factors that impact performance
- Collect information related to new product safety and design reviews
- Provide trainings to technicians and associates
- Participate in LEAN events
What will make you successful:
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of relevant work experience
- Able to function effectively in multiple environments
- Flexible with ability to adjust work and priorities
- Associate degree in Chemistry, Mechanics, Engineering or related
- 2+ years of working in laboratory or manufacturing environment
- Experience in working in papermaking, coatings technology, woodworking, metal or architectural structures environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, Minitab, and Tableau
- Commercial contractor experience for ceiling systems
Why should you join Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions in the Americas. With approximately $1B in revenue, AWI has about 2,500 employees and a manufacturing network of twelve facilities.
At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or restaurants, we offer interior solutions that help to enhance comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall performance, and create beautiful spaces.
For more than 150 years, we have built our business on trust and integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people we’re here to serve – our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our employees.
We are committed to developing new and sustainable ceiling solutions, with design and performance possibilities that make a positive difference in spaces where we live, work, learn, heal and play. It’s an exciting, rewarding business to be in, and we’re committed to continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all of our stakeholders. We hope you join us.
Our Sustainability Ambition
“Bringing our Purpose to Life” – lead a transformation in the design and building of spaces fit for today and tomorrow.
We are committed to:
- Engaging a diverse, purpose-driven workforce;
- Transforming buildings from structures that shelter into structures that serve and preserve the health and well-being of people and planet;
- Pursuing sustainable, innovative solutions for spaces where we live, work, learn heal and play;
- Being a catalyst for change with all of our stakeholders; and
- Making a positive difference in the environments and communities we impact.
Lancaster, PA. A great central location in South Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, great shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants.
Armstrong is committed to engaging a diverse, purpose-driven workforce. As part of our dedication to diversity, AWI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard for race, sex, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at by email at AWI talent acquisition and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Come and build your future with us and apply today!