Location: LOC_ABRAMSON-Abramson Building
Req ID: 117235
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
We are looking for a Lab Technician III who will participate in planned research projects related to the Molecular Biology and Genomics within the Center for Applied Genomics under the supervision of Dr. Pellegrino as the Lab Director. A successful applicant will have strong work ethic, work independently and be highly motivated, have effective problem solving/critical thinking skills. Ability to multi-task and effectively work in a team/ collaborative environment is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and attention to detail and accuracy when carrying out experiments and presenting experimental results as well as in record keeping are also required.
The candidate must be able to and willing to learn/perfect standard techniques as well as to:
1. Have experience in, DNA and RNA extraction and QC methods.
2. Have basic experience with proper aseptic techniques involving molecular biology including PCR, qPCR, microarrays, sequencing and cloning.
3. Help maintain reagents stock inventories and other reagent/freezer inventories.
4. Carefully follow laboratory safety procedures and perform experiments in compliance with research safety standards.
5. Perform training and complete training documentation on standard operating procedures pertaining to job functions.
6. Have experience in sequencing, mostly Next Generation Sequencing. Ideally, the candidate will present some knowledge in library preparation, QC, qPCR, and basic bioinformatics.
7. Prepares laboratory reagents and maintenance of inventory.
8. Performs routine calculations and maintains appropriate log books and lab notebooks.
9. Assists in writing methods and setting-up protocols accurately under the direction of the principal investigator or other senior laboratory staff.
10. Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed.
11. Maintains laboratory equipment, records, safety procedures and compliance records.
12. Assists with publication of data. Willingness to prepare figures and write up experimental details for publications is preferred.
13. Mandatory knowledge in excel.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree or active enrollment in a Bachelor’s Degree Program
Required Experience: One (1) year of laboratory experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Preferred Experience: Two (2) years of laboratory experience
Additional Technical Requirements
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146