Location: LOC_ABRAMSON-Abramson Building
Req ID: 119914
Employment Status: Regular – Full Time
A position is available for a research technician to join the laboratory of Dr. Melanie Ruffner (ruffnerlab.org).
Dr. Ruffner is a pediatric allergist whose goal is to improve to care of patients with food allergy syndromes by understanding how the immune system’s interaction with food antigens and the mucosal surfaces are altered in patients with non-IgE mediated food allergies. The Ruffner laboratory studies the genetic and immunologic mechanisms that underlie non-IgE mediated food allergies such as eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) and food-protein induced enterocolitis syndrome (FPIES). The Ruffner lab aims to advance treatment for non-IgE food allergy patients by improving the understanding of the immunologic and genetic causes of these specific allergic disorders. The lab’s work uses tissue culture models, immunologic assays and multi-omics approaches to study human allergic disorders.
The successful applicant will become part of a dynamic and highly collaborative team. The ideal candidate will have prior laboratory experience and demonstrated skills in mammalian cell culture technique and sterile technique. Candidate should be comfortable working with human blood samples. Additional skills in flow cytometry or molecular biology assays including real-time PCR, western blotting, or immunofluorescence are strongly preferred.
- Performs routine tests under the direction of principal investigator or supervisor
- Performs research procedures on experimental samples as directed
- Records and checks results for completeness and accuracy
- Performs calculations and maintains appropriate log and lab notebooks
- Performs tasks that require familiarity with fundamental techniques and equipment
- Assists with planning specific research protocols and procedures
- Maintains office, lab area, reagents, supplies and equipment
- Cleans and performs routine maintenance on lab equipment
- Coordinates schedules of tests & procedures
- Attends courses, seminars, and lab meetings to expand knowledge of research and laboratory techniques
- Records results, organizes data and maintains lab notebook in an organized manner
- Conducts literary searches as directed
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Job Responsibilities (Continued)
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Associates Degree
Required Experience: Nine (9) months of laboratory experience
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Eighteen (18) months of laboratory experience
- Related internship experience.
Additional Technical Requirements
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.
CHOP Careers Contact
2716 South Street, 6th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19146